Portable GFCIs - good or bad?

beetle...sorry man but your dead wrong on that one.

only if that gfci is the very first device on that circut will everything downstream be protected

For those of you who gotten yours at HD...which section you find them in...for some reason the stores near me don't seem to carry them anymore and when I ask the folks they look at me as if I am on something....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8132167#post8132167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jeffkluse
beetle...sorry man but your dead wrong on that one.

only if that gfci is the very first device on that circut will everything downstream be protected

You are correct, I should have been more carefull in my wording. I got confused with replacing the cb with a gfi cb, then the entire circuit would be covered. Thanks for pointing it out.

I just recieved my masters for electrician and I gotta say a big no to GFCI on my tank. For NON- critical devices its a good idea.

But for devices that are critical... no gfci.. Just make sure any metal parts are bonded.

You wouldn't put a GFCI on your house sump, or your refridgerator.

A GFCI is a good idea for any device that is under or near water imo. However, I've had electric go out and go out hard and flipped my GFI. It's rare but it has happened. That's why I recomend a good quality pump(external if possible) that is not on a GFI. A good pump that wouldn't need one would be those new Vortechs.

Back