Possible Hybrid Carpet Anemone

richdragon32

Frugal Reefer
Hey guys! Haven't posted in a while, but I do enjoying reading your posts. Anyways I wanted to share this anemone I've kept for 2 years now. I thought it was an S. gigantea at first, but now that's bigger and although it has some characteristics of a gigantea, it maybe possible it's a mix. What do you guys think?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/to4gfiaI-I8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

uc

uc

uc

Last edited:
Looks like a gigantea to me. With maybe slightly shorter tentacles but not abnormally short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No verrucae. The base is smooth throughout. The length of the tentacles are also different sizes; a bit longer in the mouth area and the edges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely an interesting Stichodactyla! I've seen gigs that have both long and short tentacles but the lack of verrucae is puzzling. I wonder if anyone has done studies done on whether or not hybridization gigantea and haddoni is even a possibility. I'd lean toward it being an aberrant gigantea unless someone has shown hybrids are possible, I had a large tan gig a few years back that had very sparse verrucae (was actually sold as a haddoni, tentacles were quite short but I think it was due to stress) so maybe there are some individuals that show no verrucae? I guess at the end of the day, all anyone can do is speculate, unless genetic testing is done.

Last edited:
Back