Possible new biggest private saltwater aquarium ever: the planning phase

I'm not sure this will be classified as an ocean pool.

Taking water from the ocean isn't a problem, returning it on the other hand may very well be.
You will rather have to deal with permits in line for a fish farm or a public aquarium. The main concern is likely not pollutants but rather introduction of diseases or invasive species.

I know that the Steinhardt Aquarium here in SF isn't allowed to let their water go straight back into the ocean (or even the bay). They have to send it down the drain to the wastewater treatment plant and are even limited on that volume.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium may have an exception, but for sure only for their local species tanks - for sure not for any tanks that contain non native species.
And I don't think it would be easy to get that exception as a private person.

Here in California they don't even allow you certain snail or algae out of fear they could get out into the wild.

So before going any deeper into planning this I would go to your local U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services office and see what they think about your idea.

I'm not sure this will be classified as an ocean pool.

Taking water from the ocean isn't a problem, returning it on the other hand may very well be.
You will rather have to deal with permits in line for a fish farm or a public aquarium. The main concern is likely not pollutants but rather introduction of diseases or invasive species.

I know that the Steinhardt Aquarium here in SF isn't allowed to let their water go straight back into the ocean (or even the bay). They have to send it down the drain to the wastewater treatment plant and are even limited on that volume.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium may have an exception, but for sure only for their local species tanks - for sure not for any tanks that contain non native species.
And I don't think it would be easy to get that exception as a private person.

Here in California they don't even allow you certain snail or algae out of fear they could get out into the wild.

So before going any deeper into planning this I would go to your local U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services office and see what they think about your idea.

The UC Davis Field research station in Bodega also has the intake and drain into the ocean, but they only deal with native species, At least the last time I was there 10 or so years ago.

In california I would say that this would have a slim to non existent chance of happening, but luckily(in this particular situation) most southern states (excluding maybe florida) are not as strict as California about prohibiting invasive and exotic introduction.

Kangadrew- I really feel like the people that you need to talk to is the EPA, I'm not getting political but with recent legislation passed the EPA has a broader scope of duty and will likely need to be involved in a situation such as this.

I will be keeping entirely native species, I believe the collector gets them SC, not far from me. Mostly because of the invasive species thing. I will soon be in contact with the EPA and the DNR to see what's happening with this. I don't think there's a problem but they might. I am willing to work with them to conform to regulations though.

I know its early on. But thank you guys so much for all of your help and support!

and here i am skipping meals so i can scrape up enough to buy a 180g:bigeyes:

i hope your idea becomes a reality!

When you state aquarium sand is expensive for this type of project that has me worried. Have you realized how much just food will cost daily for a setup this size?

I wouldn't think pulling water from the ocean would be a good idea, especially in a residential area. Way to many variables... Neighbors dumping stuff in the water, boat leaking fuel/oil, algae bloom in the inlet where you are pulling water, maintaining salinity, maintaining proper temp

Doinga concrete style pool it would be difficult to do one even only at 30-40k galling for less then $75k. At least that's what the going price is here in Ohio, neighbor was looking at one and it was $65k 7 years ago and under 30k gallons.

I do agree a pool aquarium would be really cool and has been done many times with people with koi. I think you would be better off doing a more manageable size, possibly something that could be made larger in the future and use 100% synthetic water unless you can pull ocean water from offshore, far enough away where the salinity is consistent and contaminants are a minimal risk.

You can buy salt in bulk, save a LOT of money that bay buying skids at a time or a semi full of it With the money invested in fish to me this is the only option.

Back