Possible new biggest private saltwater aquarium ever: the planning phase

kangadrew

Well, I think I went and found the coolest idea ever: crush Bill Wann's 20,000 gallon tank with somethings over 10 TIMES THE SIZE OF IT! I actually found a cheap alternative to an aquarium, but the catch is that it's got to be native fish (pretty much). A big in-ground swimming pool - you have TONS of space for aquascaping, and as long as you live waterfront (hello guys!), all you need is the pool, some big PVC, a few intakes, a few outputs, and one BIG pump (along with another one for backup). This could be incredibly cheap - thousands, if not tens of thousands less than Bill Wann's tank would've costed. Aquascaping would be the best part of this though - this is quite literally a tank you can swim in, along with snorkel, scuba dive, and even kayak.

If I were to do this, I would have an awesome native aquascape. In the shallow end of the pool, going from the start of the shallow end to the middle of the dropoff, there would be an actual dock, built from salvaged dock parts or from scratch - this would allow for a place to put down scuba/snorkeling gear, a feeding platform, a viewing platform, and of course structure for the fish (and possibly a place to rig up a kayak, probably nothing big enough for that though).
So aside from that, there would obviously need to be sand in the bottom, maybe just something easy like play sand since it's illegal to just take sand from the beach and aragonite is really expensive.
Next, does anyone know what the NC jetties look like? If you don't, look them up because that's my next big idea. Get some rocks from there (well the same rocks they use - don't just take them from the actual jetty), and build underwater structures and caves with them.
There would have to be a tropical island in the middle near the deep end - I could keep a colony of green anoles on here, along with crabs and maybe some other stuff.
Possibly false coral inserts, but those are really expensive and won't look too natural. Probably going to stick with natural stuff - oyster shell structures. Free and easy to find very large ones. If you've noticed, pretty much all the decorations are really cheap/free.

That's about enough for decorations, since the fish still need space to swim. Now for the fun part - the actual fish! Sharks would be the center attraction when you're looking from the top, but once you go below there's more stuff to be seen.
First off, there's got to be some kind of schooling fish that can survive with the sharks (at least for a little while). I'm planning on mangrove snappers, cigar jacks, and blue runners.
Next, there's got to be stuff that will come up into the shallow end regularly so that it's not so boring. The answer is simple - rays. I'm thinking yellow, atlantic, and southern stingrays, with the barbs humanely trimmed for safety purposes.
There's got to be a fun, interactive fish to feed and watch at times, and the answer is simple - tarpon. I haven't found a source for these yet, and I don't think it's legal to just catch ones. However I know of people that have them so it can be done. I think a pair would suffice, maybe 3.
Now for a few more fish to chill around/in those rock structures. A goliath grouper (bumblebee grouper to most aquarists), and a pair of green morays. Awesome fish to see when diving, so why not eh?
A CUC is the next thing, right before the best part. The obvious answer here is big stuff that's easily found, easily collected, tough, and free. Horseshoe crabs (somewhat easy to find here) starfish (tons of them wash up during the summer onto the beach, so easy pickings there) and conchs/whelks (easy to find in the salt marshes). Starfish because they're cool and can pick off bad stuff in there, whelks and conchs for algae and diatoms, and horseshoe crabs to pick up food scraps from the bottom (well anything the jacks and snappers and smaller rays don't get to first that is).
Now for sharks. I've got 6 species that are common in NC and I want to own. The sand tiger shark, because they're big, docile (for a big shark at least), and they'e got the cool factor going for them with the teeth. The nurse shark, because I've always wanted to own one and they are actually pretty cool when they're massive. Blacktip sharks, because they're big ORV sharks that will cruise around and be aggressive feeders. Sandbar sharks, for the same reason as blacktips. Blacknose sharks, for the same reason as the last 2 except they're smaller to provide some variety. And bonnethead sharks, because well, they're hammerheads.

So what are these guys gonna eat? Well, this part's cheap too - since the fish are native, they can be fed entirely wild-caught native baitfish. The big sharks, eels, tarpon, and grouper will require big meals - these can be caught in about a week, and we can get enough for a year and just freeze them. This would be easy fish to catch like bonito, catfish, blue and rainbow runners, ladyfish, leatherjackets, spanish and chum mackerel, pinfish, pigfish, other porgies, mullet, small stingrays, seatrout, and grunts. For everything else, small fish (anchovies, ballyhoo, bumper, croaker, flying fish, herrings, menhaden, silversides, mullet, mojarras, perch, pilchards, pigfish, pinfish, sardines, scads, grunts) and invertebrates (clams, blue crabs, land crabs, fiddler crabs, cut horseshoe crabs, rock/stone crabs, lobsters, mussels, sand fleas, scallops, shrimp, squid, worms). So basically anything that can be caught, if it's legal I'll either feed it fresh or freeze it and save it for later.

This is stil far into the planning phase, so anything I'm wrong about feel free to correct me on. Dimensions are still being planned, as well as actual numbers for stocking.
Cheers
-Drew

Woah!!!! This would be absolutely ridiculous if it happened, although you didn't specify if the pool would be indoor or outdoor?(oops if you did I just didn't see it) Although the only problem I see with this idea is the fact that all the sharks are going to be ridiculously expensive plus livestock costs and all the itty bitty things are going to increase the price exponentially. With Wanns tank he also built a lot of the equipment which probably decreased his prices as well. Sorry for pointing out the flaws but if this could happen I would buy a plane ticket to see it immediately!

a 200,000 gallon pool is a really big pool!... you keep mentioning "cheap" when discussing this idea, but I cannot see anyway that the most basic pool of 200,000 gallons won't cost at least 100k and likely much more... You also mention you are waterfront which is cool, but have you looked into the legal issues surrounding a direct line in from the ocean and an overflow back out? I would imagine there would be a pricey and long permit process that would likely require you needing to pay for environmental impact studies which can take years and cost thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Im certainly not trying to crush a dream because I think it is a really cool idea, but it seems like one of those things that if keeping cost down is important it just wouldn't be realistic.

I do need to check legality, but I've heard of people doing this exact thing before so I feel like I should be fine.
As for being cheap, meaning cheap for an aquarium of this size, not cheap on the scale of regular tanks. The only real cost is getting the pool installed, a big pump, and any permits I may need.

beeabf9d4d0ad642cb5d54f340d25b1d.jpg

I found a company that can get me most of the fish (all the sharks, the tarpon, the green morays, the jacks and snappers, and stingrays), and you can buy a bumblebee grouper at a lot of saltwater fish stores - my LFS can get me one when im ready, and they grow FAST.

I do need to check legality, but I've heard of people doing this exact thing before so I feel like I should be fine.
As for being cheap, meaning cheap for an aquarium of this size, not cheap on the scale of regular tanks. The only real cost is getting the pool installed, a big pump, and any permits I may need.

Definitely going to be a cool project! I do know of some research facilities/public aquaria that use direct ocean water that constantly turns over. This is the only way that I think an outdoor pool or pond would be successful in the long term. Good luck with everything, keep us updated.

As I was reading through that website on ocean pools they mentioned the need to add sanitizers to the pool, obviously if you had a constant turnover it would dilute sanitizers before they could do anything. So are these ocean pools just filling the pool with ocean water and then relying on self contained filtration? I know it is fine to take water from the ocean, what I think would raise some eyebrows is the water going back in.

I hope you have a bankroll as big as your aspirations. There won't be anything cheap about that project. Maybe cheap for a 200k "aquarium" but certainly not cheap.

Either you and I have VASTLY different definitions of "cheap" or you are wildly underestimating just how much this would cost, the work involved, etc. Would be amazing to see, but going to be a massive undertaking. And would you build it to only be viewed top down? I think it would be cooler to be able to see in at least one side, just like a public aquarium.

Either you and I have VASTLY different definitions of "cheap" or you are wildly underestimating just how much this would cost, the work involved, etc. Would be amazing to see, but going to be a massive undertaking. And would you build it to only be viewed top down? I think it would be cooler to be able to see in at least one side, just like a public aquarium.

Definitely need at least one viewing window, this is as practical as it is enjoyable. You will want to be able to check on the tank without going swimming. What if your shark starts getting really aggressive?

Also, play sand can grow a lot of algae so be careful about what variety you use.

True about play sand - I might need to find a new source if substrate. As for a window, possibly. I could create a cool lounge area underground by it.
The pool will hopefully be scuba friendly and snorkeling friendly as well as friends to view from the side and above while dry

Also, I am hoping to have it so that there is nothing injected to the pool - just pure seawater. This way there's no hoops to jump through with the law and putting stuff in the ocean.

I wouldn't be worried about the play sand, yes it can effect a closed system but if you have water from the ocean constantly turning over anything released by the sand would be diluted beyond recognition. Basically if you can do this you have an 82,000,000,000 gallon sump that always has perfect chemistry.

Definitely going to be a cool project! I do know of some research facilities/public aquaria that use direct ocean water that constantly turns over. This is the only way that I think an outdoor pool or pond would be successful in the long term. Good luck with everything, keep us updated.

As I was reading through that website on ocean pools they mentioned the need to add sanitizers to the pool, obviously if you had a constant turnover it would dilute sanitizers before they could do anything. So are these ocean pools just filling the pool with ocean water and then relying on self contained filtration? I know it is fine to take water from the ocean, what I think would raise some eyebrows is the water going back in.
Yeah, I know the Monterey Bay aquarium does this for every one of their tanks - pretty cool. I believe they are not relying on any fitration except the natural balance of the ocean. They might have something in them for human pollutants (pee, sunblock, etc) but that's it - no skimmers, etc. But yes, it's perfectly legal to take water from the ocean, just as long as you're not adding anything harmful when you put it back. Think about it - boats do it all the time (they even add stuff back and don't always get in trouble). What I would probably do to aid filtration is add in oysters - a single oyster can filter 50 gallons of water a day. And they're not photosynthetic or anything like that - just filter feeders.

The only thing I could possibly need to add is something for algae/diatom control but that could simply be snails, starfish, and crabs.

ATT : kangadrew
I as a friend e/mail Bill Wann a copy of this thread.
He has been off this board for some time now . Here is the repose that was sent in a e/mail for me to reply with.

Bill response / wishing you luck crushing his little tank , talk is cheep , so lets see you build it.

I agree that such an "aquarium" should have one, preferably more, viewing panes.

Another thing to consider would be the resale of the home. 99% of all prospective buyers would walk away from a property with such a feature. So you'd have to be prepared to foot the bill for removal and restoring the site, or design it in such a way that it could be converted into a conventional swimming pool.

He has been off this board for some time now . Here is the repose that was sent in a e/mail for me to reply with.

Bill response / wishing you luck crushing his little tank , talk is cheep , so lets see you build it.

Yes, and nothing can speed up time. Hedgedrew has been building his 30,000g combined tanks for a year and a half. Still no fish in them.

Ha ha! Not trying to be rude or anything, just using his tank as an example. But I'm interested to see this built too :)
How's his tank doing?

I agree that such an "aquarium" should have one, preferably more, viewing panes.

Another thing to consider would be the resale of the home. 99% of all prospective buyers would walk away from a property with such a feature. So you'd have to be prepared to foot the bill for removal and restoring the site, or design it in such a way that it could be converted into a conventional swimming pool.
Believe me, I've got far too much on this property to ever move out. Concrete ponds everywhere for crocodilians, outdoor cages, a barn - too much stuff to ever rip up. Not planning on moving ever :)

Back