Power Tools

Queezyviper

Can any of our carpentry inclined reefers recommend a versatile power tool that I can use to save time and effort...I need to cut basic things quickly and such as PVC piping, wood and maybe plexiglass pieces.

Should I go with a 10" table saw? Or maybe a power jigsaw?

Before this, I've been cutting with a regular saw and pretty much doing everything manually.

the best tool available out there is a dremel, but for cutting the 3 things you mention there i would use a table saw

For flexibility, a handheld jigsaw is pretty good. You can get all sorts of blades for it, including special acrylic cutting blades (cost $5).

The only thing that the jigsaw is not so great at is making long straight cuts. I mean, it WILL do it, but I found it hard to get an edge that wasn't a bit wavy, even when using an edge guide (straight piece of wood). But it could just be me, and it could be my cheapo Skil brand jigsaw. I think a favorite jigsaw of actual woodworkers is the Bosch EV1590 (I think). or 1587.

A 10" table saw, is of course a great tool to have as well. As is a router. and router table.

Mitre saws are nice too, but much more limited in application.

PCV pipe is best cut with a scissor like PVC cutter. MUCH better...unless the pipe is really big in diameter.

V

Thanks so much guys...I wanted to get the right tools for my budget and I didnt want to overspend on something that I may not get much use for and I didnt want to underspend on something that I'll quickly outgrow. I think Im gonna look at the 10" table saw...

I'd go with the table saw. I keep on thinking how awesome it would be to have one every time I use a hand held saw...

Consider the Ryobi BT3100 as a hobbiest level (and capable) table saw. You don't need a woodworker level saw. The Ryobi is like $300 and has it's own fan website http://www.bt3central.com.

That's the one I have (obviously). I have a cheap plywood cutting blade I use for acrylic. THough the blade it came with is prety good for wood.

V

Has anyone ever heard of a brand called "COMPANION" at Sears? There's a 10" table saw by that brand on closeout there for about 80 dollars. I didn't buy it because I had a feeling it was kinda shoddy...Im willing to spend more on good equipment. Thanks for the heads up on the ryobi...

I built my entire stand and did my plumbing using about $350 worth of tools
10" table saw $99
cheap plunge router $50
cordless drill/circ saw set $130
Jigsaw $50
pocket screw jig $20
hacksaw $9

I use the table saw for almost everything, plywood, rip 2x4's, plexi, small diameter PVC pipe

large dimaeter pvc pipe and quick cuts i use the hacksaw - faster and large dimeter pvc pipe will kick back somethign fierce on teh table saw.

Cutting 2x4's i used the cordess circular saw - a mitre saw would be better but hey, it worked.

jigsaw was used fo the curved pieces on my (bwfront) stand.

I have since bought a mitre saw and it does make the jobs it works for much easier, but not neccesary if you don't forsee yourself using it a lot in the future (i have a lot of home improvement projects ;) )

Ideally more/more expensive tols would be better to have, but when on a strict budget and for only a few projects i think this list works fine.

the second tool to buy after the table saw is a good name brand router like a porter cable this probably the most versatile tool. it can make crooked cuts straight with the use of a straight edge and pattern bit, it will cut circles,trace patterns, shape edges and make holes. When it comes to power tools unlike aquarium equipment, paying a little more does get you a lot more quality. Name brand power tools will always have good resale value as opposed to buying harbor fright tools that are considered single use disposables.

IMO start with the hand tools - Drill, Power Saw, Router, Jig Saw.

Then step up to the Table Saw, Router Table, Miter Saw, Drill Press.

A belt sander and finish sander can be handy also. ;)

When it comes to how much to spend, I try to base it off of how much I'm going to use the tool, combined with what features they have. I just don't see the need to buy a commercial grade tool if it's something I'll only be using every now and again.

That's just my opinion on it though, I'm sure there as many opinions on this one as there are posters in here.

Have you tried www.HarborFreight.com...or as I like to call them-------> GUY LAND......they have great deals everyday on stuff that you wouldn't believe.

They sell a brand called Chicago Powertools...or Chicago Tool Co. and I bought an angle grinder for $20 bucks....I've had it for 5 years now and haven't had a problem with it at all. Course even if the thing poops out on me....I'm only out $20 versus what the same thing by DeWalt, Craftsmen, Makita, etc would run you.

Just a thought !

I agree. Table saw. I wish I had one. You don't want to do acrylic without one. With wood you can get buy with a circular saw and or jig saw. I have for years. When I need to cut acrylic though I run over to my brother's place he has a table saw that he lets me use.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8087210#post8087210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by UH_OH_5_OH
Have you tried www.HarborFreight.com...or as I like to call them-------> GUY LAND......they have great deals everyday on stuff that you wouldn't believe.

They sell a brand called Chicago Powertools...or Chicago Tool Co. and I bought an angle grinder for $20 bucks....I've had it for 5 years now and haven't had a problem with it at all. Course even if the thing poops out on me....I'm only out $20 versus what the same thing by DeWalt, Craftsmen, Makita, etc would run you.

Just a thought !
SOME things are a decent value at harbor freight angle grinderer are one of them, the drill presses are decent for the money, auto wrenches, floor jacks are fine for the weekend oil change, air nailers and woodworking clamps. my observation from thier more complex machines is, if it has multiple adjustments you will only get one of then CLOSE :)

My wife got me a RIDGID 10 In. Cast-Iron Table Saw Model TS3650 for christmas last year, what a beast.

648846050270_3.jpg

I really wish I would have had this when I built my stand a couple of years ago.

HTH

David

I am pumped...I should have made the thread - SHOW ME YOUR POWER TOOLS / WORK AREA. This hobby has kind of opened up a new area of interest for me -- before I was just content to buy furniture and modify my place with whatever I could find at Home Depot or Lowe's but it seems that customizing and fabricating things is just as satisfying as reefing itself. I still have alot to learn.

dam nice restoration MayoBoy!

look for companies that buy/sell/trade tools for anf from schools. that is one way to get major tools at major discounts!
just like that powermatic 65 above me here ^^. i have seen them go for a couple hundred dollars. that saw is worth over $1000 easy! real easy over $1000.

depending on how good you are with a router you can do anything with one. including cutting down sheets of ply and acrylic. that doesnt mean im saying skip the table saw at all though.

I'm surprised at how many recommend the table saw as the first big power tool. I use my miter saw probably 10X more often.

the table saw is by far more versatile is the only reason.

my dad also does woodworking and doesnt have a bandsaw still/yet, yesterday he called me to ask how i make round tables since his jig slipped and now has an egg table....my answer...table saw!
you can also do mouldings with the table saw.

you could use a router to do everything a table saw does but it comes with more experience and jigs and bits.

if you are only doing hobby small projects then get whats pratical. (portable/ small) if you are like me always ripping large sheets and stock then get the biggest you can afford...then splurge a bit more to get what really makes you drool....

Back