Pre-School Tank Build

I still don/t like that design integrity, Still no vertical support under top frame.Screws can shear but in softwood pine 2x4 they will sag/loosen their grip. Laterally test it by bracing/securing the base on the floor and I bet you can shift the top side to side, The long way. A sheet of plywood on one side would give a lot of stability against racking.

With the lateral support I added it became more sturdy. I'm not changing it any more. It's done now.
9511473c0e213ef1b9404618bb044c5c.jpg
e1199bfb76de68df058c594a946ea796.jpg
bdcae7f8e4e0889fd359bb87aefca728.jpg
e587d2441b32f6580bbbebf1cc1a05b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

First day of class was yesterday. Unfortunately all they had to look at was rocks and sand still.
edb371d1fb82930d1c9e2b9c5a13251e.jpg

LOVE THIS!!

The kids are going to love it!

AND there is a multitude of learning experiences here...

The children will learn about the nitrogen cycle

They will learn about the oceans ecosystem

They will learn all about the tanks inhabitants

They will learn husbandry skills

and best of all, they will learn patience

Can't wait to see this tank develop, good for you to take the time to put this together for the teacher and her students

Filled it all the way up yesterday and got the return pump running. I also dumped the whole bottle of Fritz turbo start in since it expired on Wednesday and there was no reason to save half a bottle of it. I had to tighten down a few bulk heads and unions at first but after 2 minutes of running it was not leaking anywhere I could see. Pump has started off a bit louder than I remember it being. I am sure a couple weeks worth of slime build up will quiet it down a lot.

Had some setbacks:
I put the wrong U-tube in the overflow. I used one from a different model instead. In my defense I haven't used either of them in a few years. This is also how I found out that Mrs. Douglas has been turning the return pump off during the day and on again at night. The overflow was not restarting all the way as quickly as it is supposed to and the upper tank slowly spilled about a gallon of water over the sides. Fortunately the tank is over tile.
Fixed the u tube problem easily now I have to address why she turned the return pump on and off. She thinks it is to loud during the day and distracts the kids. I listened to it and it is louder than when I use to use it. So now I am searching for a quieter used model.

Put a new pump in last Friday after class.
9/10 would recommend this pump. It is very quiet. now I am afraid she will complain about the skimmer noise when I turn that on.
Aqueon quietflow 2300 is what we went with.
352692d684ec4540ba2c5b3f0cc2c1e6.jpg

226f6b2f1278c54b2dab4c11761734b4.jpg

I will do some water tests this week and see if we can put a fish in next weekend.
I added that Fritz turbo start a while ago now and I was feeding the tank a little every time I could. I don't know what turning off the return pump for 8 hours a day does to the cycle process.

Turning off the older return pump did slow the cycle down a bit. It was not ready for fish yet. I added some good live rock from my tank, some fritz 9 bottled bacteria, and dosed alk solution. Then I put a small frag of hammer coral to see what happens. That fritz 9 bottle says you can add livestock immediately but I don't believe everything I read on bottles.
9f1b7a8addeeadc33a818e6f906cda5e.jpg

f382ebecf3c9bc38837c45a1d2d1e621.jpg

2e95fac5503b71cb699196be8060e817.jpg

Is there room between the rock and glass to be able to clean glass? Looks awful tight but could just be the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back