Product / pump opinion(s) -

reefnoober

I'm currently making moves to set up my refugium tank on a basement counter.
I have about 10 vert lift, 12 hor.

I was thinking about an in-refugium Mag 9.5 or 12.

Then I found a fellow reefer selling an external pump he had purchased, from another person who had it as a back-up pump.

The person now selling it was going to do a salt water tank, but never did.

THAT pump is a "Little Giant" 3 -mdq-sc.
Here's a link to what it is:
http://www.amazon.com/LITTLE-GIANT-581506-3-MDQ-SC-PUMP/dp/B0057PGMXW

ANYONE know of the noise, heat or any issue(s)?

Which way to go?
If I go external, I also need to have my 30 tank drilled for a bulk-head.

I'm totally at a loss on this decision!

HELP!

Thx.

I've used the Little Giant 3mdq-sc in the past and they are generally a pretty good pump new. I have no idea what condition the pump in question is in, so any opinion would be a wild guess.
The specs on the LG 3 mdq-sc says it has a 18 ft max head so at 10' you should get some flow.
They are usually not too noisey, I've used them inside tank stands and been able to not be bothered by any noise. They have a fan on the end which in my opinion was loader than the pump itself.

I have never been a fan of their pumps.... Always thought it was worth the extra money for a iwaki. Little giants need oiled every few months otherwise there will sound like a helicopter in your basement. I used they a few times and even when new they are not as quiet as a comparable iwaki.

Any idea how much flow you are attempting to get to your fuge? How big is your tank? For the effort involved in putting only a 30g in the basement... Possibly put it under the tank? Or put something much larger in the basement..... Bigger is always better! When it comes to sumps

I have never been a fan of their pumps.... Always thought it was worth the extra money for a iwaki. Little giants need oiled every few months otherwise there will sound like a helicopter in your basement. I used they a few times and even when new they are not as quiet as a comparable iwaki.

I used Little Giant pumps for 12 years on my 180 and never had that problem.

plan halted -

plan halted -

The LFS / Aquarium builder I was considering to drill my Fuge' tank, will not.

Since it's an "after-the-fact" tank. (I determined built already).
They are VERY big in selling their OWN product instead.

So now, I'm now considering an in-the-fuge' MAG 12.

And upping my return line size to about 1-1/4" PVC.

I currently have 1" drain & 3/4" return to DT.
I also have a "Quiet one 3000" pushing up about 4.5' from in my stand, right now. Eshopps R-100 Fuge'.

The tank is a pre-drilled reef-ready 85 gal. 36Lx24Wx22h

The head is a calculated 10' approx.
Consisting of horizontal runs of about 12ft.
Vertical from basement counter to top of tank upstairs about 10ft.

that mag 12 is going to put off a lot of heat, and waste a lot of electric.

absolutely go with an external pump, I personally prefer the pan worlds, have been using them to pump water from the basement for about 10yrs. never had a problem.

Back