Proper lighting for frogfish in 30 gallon?

woven1web

I know that I should post this in the forum "lighting and filtration" but I want to get the opinion of those who already have a frogfish. I have a striated frogfish who is currently in a 10 gallon but is being moved to a 30 gallon. I need some input on what type of lighting would be good for both him and the liverock. I am not going to do any corals because I already have a 75 gallon and a 55 gallon reef... I read that frogfish like low lighting, so I need some advice.

Also, I want to put him in the 30 gallon tank, so I was going to take the 10 gallons out of my 55 gallon tank and 10 gallons out of my 75 gallon tank and then make up 10 gallons from my RO unit.. Will this be sufficient so that I do not have to go through the cycling process of the 30 gallons??:rolleyes:

Because I keep Fuggly (my frogfish) in my refugium w/ chaetomorpha, I have 2 65w PC lights on the 40-gallon tank. He's done fine in that environment for more than two years. I also had a frogfish in a shallow tank w/ clams and a 250W MH pendant lamp over it and he was doing fine as well (until I had a heater malfunction and cooked the poor thing :( ).

Although there are deep water anglers, the majority of them seen in the hobby are from relatively shallow areas, so although they don't require stronger light, I don't think they hate it either. They should have a number of different places they can anchor themselves and if the lighting strong, then I would suggest a few of those be spots they can retreat from it if they wish.

My angler's favorite ambush spot is hanging upside down from the floating chaetomorpha tangle!

On the 40 gallon refugium you are using 2 65 Watts.. I was thinking about going with one actinic and one 10,000 K daylight. Do you think that would work??:confused:

I think that is fine for just the frogfish. Because I wanted to grow the macro algae, I made both of mine 10,000k daylight bulbs. I started out really wanting to grow Gracilaria in there, but that lighting still wasn't strong enough. I grow Chaeto faster than I can keep up w/ harvesting it!

If you have a medium to low light fish and want some corals or plants, you can provide overhangs that are shaded from the direct light.

Sorry I have not gotten back to ya'll, but I was out shopping around at the LFS for a light and I went with something simple, which was the Aquarium System triple Lighting system. I bought 2 10K bulbs and 1 420nm Actinic. Each bulb is 25 Watts. Do you think that is too bright for him/her?

Also I want to put macroalgae in there. What do you guys think of Cheatamorpha or should I go towards the Red Gracilaria??

Back