proposed fish list question

jaf2h

We have a 55 gal reef tank that we plan to have heavy with coral. We have four small fish 1 Tail spot Blenny, 1 Green clown goby, 1 wheeler goby, 1 green barred goby. They get along well and in 1/2 the tank( the side with more coral) we want to put in 1 royal gramma , maybe a small group(3) of catalina gobys. We would also like some kind of hair algae eating fish that will be a larger show fish that will stand out and free swim in the tank rather than find a cave to hide in a pop in and out. It is cute to watch the little fish but we want something that will be easy to see and active but NOT A BULLY OR A CORAL NIPPER!! :strooper:Any suggestions would be awesome?! Also we want to be sure we aren't over loading the tank with too many fish for a heavy coral tank.
:confused:

Sounds like you're getting heavy in gobies and eventually might be inviting some competitive aggression. I hesitate to suggest a lawnmower blenny for algae control because of the Tail Spot.
Tangs, such as a small yellow tang, are the obvious choice for algae control, . The Tang police will correctly advise that 55G is too small for any tang, but if you start with a small yellow, and are willing to pay him forward (or upgrade your tank) as he grows, that might work. Tangs are usually only aggressive toward other tangs or rabbitfish.
I like Royal Gramma for color and interest, and you haven't mentioned the obligatory ocellaris clown pair for your tank...
Just a suggestion...

LL

Fish don't control algae. They might eat it but they still poop it out which fuels more algae.

A 5g a week water change with RO/DI water, a good skimmer, GFO reactor, responsible fish stocking, and proper feeding will give you an algae free 55.

Look at a dwarf angel species. Maybe a flame angel as your stand out fish. I would not add many more though. I would go with your main addition and see how that works out. You really need to stock slowly and base it off your nitrates, aggression, adult size.

Sounds like you're getting heavy in gobies and eventually might be inviting some competitive aggression. I hesitate to suggest a lawnmower blenny for algae control because of the Tail Spot.
Tangs, such as a small yellow tang, are the obvious choice for algae control, . The Tang police will correctly advise that 55G is too small for any tang, but if you start with a small yellow, and are willing to pay him forward (or upgrade your tank) as he grows, that might work. Tangs are usually only aggressive toward other tangs or rabbitfish.
I like Royal Gramma for color and interest, and you haven't mentioned the obligatory ocellaris clown pair for your tank...
Just a suggestion...

LL

We had a pair of clowns in our first tank three years ago and they were so aggressive to us when feeding that we had marks from their teeth we gave them to a friend looking for a breeding pair and decided to avoid them as we have several corals that must be hand fed in our new set up

Back