Pukani Rock leacing PO4 like mad

So I checked it yesterday and ran the readings 3 times like I always do and was between .13 and .15. So I dosed yesterday morning and this morning I did the same and all three read .06. I dosed again we will see tomorrow morning where we stand.

Thanks for posting that info funk. I'm on my third dosing right now. My last reading was around .16. Alot of people havent been able to get to ultra low po3 readings with lc. I'd be interested to see if you can get any lower than your current .15

Well I am at .06 today, we will see tomorrow where we are at. I work 48 hour shift on friday and sat so Sunday if I come home and it is still below .05 I will put the rock in the tank.

Great thread...just got my Pukani aquascape secured, purchased some LC and will get to cooking. Glad a member of the community was watching my build thread and made the suggestion!

Is the Pukani Rock that people are having a problem with phosphates recently purchased, or some that you have had laying around for a while?A specific batch harvested so to speak?I purchased 30lbs in Sept of 2010 and didnt use it til Oct of 2011 when I decided to start my 29gal Biocube back up.All I did was rinse it, make up a batch of saltwater, add a media bag of HC GFO and some Rox Carbon to the bin in a high flow area using a Tunze 6025 and a MJ 1200 and a heater at 78 degrees.I changed the water once a week for a month, and set the tank up and started my cycle.I also used an InTank fuge basket with Chaeto and ran a NextReef Reactor with GFO in it.I did not seed my Pukani with any live rock and have a good amount of pinkish/purple coralline algae growth on the rock.As I said the tank was started on Oct 25th,I have a light bio load with no skimmer.I house a pair of Ocellaris Clown's,Purple Basslet and two Springer Damsel's.Am I just lucky or is some rock more dirty than other batches sent out?In a nutshell is everyone who purchase's this rock had nothing but problem's with it?Just something I was curious about and thought I would bring up.I PM'd Oregon Reefer before I started my tank but opted not to go the LC route due to small children and my dog's.

I love the look of this rock!

Just ordered some LC and was waiting for it to come in to use it till I just read this post. How does using the LC in my tank effect children and dogs? I have a dog and a cat and don't want anything to happen to them by using this chemical.

How does using the LC in my tank effect children and dogs? I have a dog and a cat and don't want anything to happen to them by using this chemical.
Uhm are your kids and pets drinking from your tank? Because I'd generally advise against such a practice. :) Kidding aside it's made for swimming pool water, which kids and dogs inevitably ingest so it can't be that toxic. As always, heed to any cautions and warnings listed on the bottle's label and common sense says to keep the straight chemical out of the reach of pets/children.

Uhm are your kids and pets drinking from your tank? Because I'd generally advise against such a practice. :) Kidding aside it's made for swimming pool water, which kids and dogs inevitably ingest so it can't be that toxic. As always, heed to any cautions and warnings listed on the bottle's label and common sense says to keep the straight chemical out of the reach of pets/children.

lol no kids currently and the pets are not allowed to drink, swim, or pee in the water. I just wasn't sure if the smell of the stuff effected them when I saw the post I originally refered to. :)

So is this SeaKlear the stuff I want? If so, found it for $15 shipped. I actually got the BRS Eco Saver but don't want to take any chances. top notch thread, thanks

http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.com/SeaKlear-Natural-Clarifier-1qt_p_5561.html

I don't think that's the one...there's one that's specifically a "Phosphate remover", and amazon linked it for $18.99 shipped to that same site, but now it shows $33.49. I think they know we're having a run on it and they're jacking the price up!! :furious:

Seaklear also packages the same exact phosphate remover in a 'spa' sized bottle. Same stuff, just smaller bottle marketed for spa vs. pool. It was significantly cheaper than the pool size due to much less volume, but is still more than you'll ever need to soak your rocks. I used it, worked great and saved me a few bucks.

Semi OT, sorry about that.

I have a bunch of ex-live rock that was dried out for a little over 6 months. I have been curing it in tubs for the past couple of weeks and I am in the Nitrite phase of cycling. I picked up a API Phosphate test kit and the kit is showing that Phosphates are a little below .25 PPM. My well water is below that reading and I am putting it through RODI and it is down to basically 0 so I know there is some leaching going on from the rocks.

Do you think it is worth it to use LC to draw down the Phosphates or is it overkill?

The up and coming tank will be my first mixed reef tank (Softie and LPS) after 15+ years of being out of the hobby.

Thanks

I got pukani back around 9/1/2011. No algae at all, until i got LED lights in december, now algae is growing like crazy. PO4 was around .36, been vinegar dosing and now it is done to 0.08 (which is probably misleading).

I think I am going to order some of the seaklear and try removing a few rocks and cooking them with it.

So I have been dosing PhosFree for the past few days, started tuesday. Only have an API test kit and my readings have gone down from 1 to somewhere between .25 and .5. I just did a nother dosing and had a lot of precipitate... I assume with less phosphate there will be less precipitate but did anyone really notice a big difference as they came to the end of their dosing?

So I have been dosing PhosFree for the past few days, started tuesday. Only have an API test kit and my readings have gone down from 1 to somewhere between .25 and .5. I just did a nother dosing and had a lot of precipitate... I assume with less phosphate there will be less precipitate but did anyone really notice a big difference as they came to the end of their dosing?

I thought this would happen as well, but honestly didn't notice much difference over time. A difference, yes, but wouldn't say it was dramatic or an obvious indicator of when you are 'done'. I suggest to continue testing PO4 in water a few days post-dosing to tell you when you are at the point of diminishing returns on a steady state basis.

I've been dosing phosfree daily since 2/4, but I don't have a kit to test for po4 so I don't really know what my levels were or are. I'm not even sure my rocks were 'dirty' but figured it would be best to be safe rather than sorry. I never bought a test kit since I've read lots about po4 kits and accuracy, but didn't want to drop $60 on a Hanna checker. Would an API test kit be adequate for this application? Also, any prediction on the po4 levels of my water? I saw a few people didn't do water changes while dosing so I decided not to yet either. Since my brute is crammed full of 150# of rock, I would have to unload the rocks before I could empty it and I didn't feel like working that hard.

The API kit can only detect very high phosphate levels, by reef standards. I think it's useful down to about 0.25 ppm, by specification.

I'd probably ignore the phosphate level. I assume the PhosFree is a lanthanum chloride product? If so, it should be effective enough.

That is correct, PhosFree is a lanthanum chloride product. I never checked before, I just saw that it was an alternative product people had been using with success.

Now that I have taken the time to look up the MSDS on each product (PhosFree doesn't have ingredients listed on the bottle) what I find interesting is PhosFree has lanthanum chloride and lanthanum sulfate listed as ingredients while SeaKlear Phosphate Remover only has a lanthanum salt derivative listed. I suppose it's the lanthanum that removes the phosphates? I remember someone mentioned that lanthanum chloride, when introduced to water, becomes lanthanum and chloride.

I'm assuming this is the SeaKlear product everyone is using?

PhosFree | MSDS

SeaKlear Phosphate Remover | MSDS

That isn't the product I used... or at least the label and bottle have changed

The product I used was called "phosphate remover" NOT "phosphate remover "CR"

I've e-mailed SeaKlear to ask if the there's a difference in the products and will update.

Back