Pur-Cal? Can I dose?

OldmillXxX

Premium Member
I received six 50 lb bags of this stuff from my dad's company, they were tossing it. It is a very fine powder and is described on the bag as hydrated calcium.

I am having a hard time finding any information about it online. It says it is made in West Bend, WI on the bag. I can post a pic if absolutly needed, but thought I would give it a shot without it.

Can I dose this stuff in my aquarium? My calcium needs are minimal right now, but am having low PH issues 7.8~7.9.

Randy? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what chemical it is, or how pure it might be. I found one site (a farm feed recipe) that mentions that it is hydrated lime (which is likely calcium hydroxide to them), but I wouldn't rely on that being correct.

The bag says nothing else?

Probably the same site I looked at, not much ionformation other than the name. I'll see if I can post a picture of the bag tonight. I know it is old, but the bags are all still sealed.

A google search for "hydrated calcium" pulls up a bunch of links for gypsum products.

Try mixing it with some RODI. If a lot dissolves, might be calcium chloride dihydrate. If very little dissolves and it has a high pH, might be calcium hydroxide. If little dissolves and pH isn't very high, might be gypsum. Could be a lot of other things too though.

EDIT: I found your culprit:

http://www.westernlime.com/products.html#calcium

It's kalk powder.

Thanks speakerguy! That is the stuff, that is the bag(s) that I have. Like I stated, I got six 50# bags of this stuff for nothing. Looks like I scored pretty good.

One question for Randy: Since it is older, can I still use and how long will it last and be effective in powder form? Best to keep it in a large plastic container for long-term storage?

Thanks all!

Yes, you can use it, but may have undissolvable calcium carbonate solids in it. Just let that settle to the bottom of the limewater reservoir. Keeping air out is desirable. :)

Back