PVC Tube for Chemical Storage

brittonv

I am going to be 2 part dosing my tank. I am looking for a way to store said chemicals.

What I am thinking is to get some 6" PVC from HD and make tubes out of them with Caps, then I can drill and tap

a 12" Section will give me about a gallon and a half storage.

Is there any concern in doing this. Do I need to worry about storing, Magnesium, Soda Ash or calcium Chloride in solution in this manor.

Will these solutions remain in solution or will it need to be agitated before dosing? Also would Float switches installed in to these containers work/last correctly considering the chemicals involved?

Thanks

Are you talking about dry chems? They come in nice plastic containers.

Are you talking about the mixed chems? I just use one gal. containers from BRS. Clear and a lot thicker and tougher than a milk container. There are also 'space saver' skinny one gallon containers if you need that.

Float switches? Why are you using these?

Mixed Chemicals.

The BRS Containers I have are too big, but the space savers may be an option but may be expensive at $10 each and I wish they held more than a gallon.

Float switches was my plan to make a gallon at a time. Have float switches let me know when I had used a gallon and when it was close to being empty. (since it held a gallon and a half.)

Looking to gain, it's inexpensive and easy to work with...

Check and see how much 6" pvc pipe and fittings cost. I bet you don't end up saving any money. Plus the containers have the advantage of being transparent so you can see how much is left!

As far as float switches go, once you get your system set up, the dosing shouldn't change much, so you should know exactly when you will run out.

As far as float switches go, once you get your system set up, the dosing shouldn't change much, so you should know exactly when you will run out.

Or at least within a couple of days.

I seem to look under the stand at least once every day.

ATO OK - check
2 part level - check
skimmer cup - check

Or at least within a couple of days.

I seem to look under the stand at least once every day.

ATO OK - check
2 part level - check
skimmer cup - check

Yup, that was my experience on my last tank, looking to automate this on as much as possible. Nothing stopping from putting float switches in the brs tanks either. However I did find some 5 L space saver tanks from us plastics too

Back