Pvc

gixxer600

Premium Member
What is the best way to cut PVC. I tried using a hack saw, but it always cut the pipe in an angle. Was thinking about taking out the old table saw. Also is primer necessary.

Hmm - I always use a ratcheting PVC cutter from Home Depot. It has a blade on it and you squeeze it multiple times to cut the pipe. No mess and the cuts are not perfect but they are square enough to work well.

Ratchet cutter on the small stuff, DeWalt Saws-All on the larger pieces. Oh and FYI, it doesn't really matter if the cuts aren't straight, the fittings should be large enough to properly seal even with a really crooked cut.

A table saw would be fine. A hack saw is fine too. The pipe doesn't have to be perfectly square for the type of stuff typically done for a tank. I'd probably use the table saw or similar for the plumbing on the pressure side.

No, primer is not necessary unless the pipe is really dirty.

If you have access to one, a chop saw is my ideal tool for clean, straight cuts. Plus Home Depot or Lowe's typically have them and they will cut the PVC for you if you bring in measurements.

You can also use a miter box to get a strait square cut. Normally a mitter box is used for trim, but it could be used for this application as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9249271#post9249271 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by llama72
use a SAWZALL!!!!!!!!!

note: "measure twice.....cut once"

That is why I posted this. I would measure everything, but when it came to cutting. The pipe would always be cut in an angle.

I resonally wouldn't advise cutting PVC on your table saw.
If you don't push real straight you may have that piece bind, and may have a bigger issue to deal with.
Just get a nice sharp blade for your hack, or get a PVC cutter.
The miter box works great too.

Back