Qt/fallow/ttm myth???????

ok update.. all fish still alive... but that ich is bugging me.... debating if i should try going fallow again or should i completly restart... if i completly restarted what would be the best way to deal with my sps corals and inverts. thanks

I too went fallow for 73 days after an outbreak of ich, did TTM on all my fish + the obvious quarantine for the remainder of the 73 days. It took 5 days for ich to reappear in my DT, I followed the TTM procedures on here to the letter.
Exactly like you I had the dilemma of whether to go fallow again, in the end I removed fish again and went through TTM again. This time I reintroduced all fish except a Hippo Tang after 21 days, I didn't go 72 days because I'm just not convinced that the theory is accurate, there are reports of multiple strains of ich having potentially different life cycles, plus I'd been there before and it hadn't worked (I'm far from the only case of this on RC too).
I've had no ich apparent in my display for well over a month now, however the Hippo got ich in quarantine after I'd done TTM.
In the end I used copper to cure the ich on the Hippo and returned it to the LFS.
What have I learnt in the last 6 months of TTM, fallow periods, copper treatments etc....not much! I still have more questions than answers, However I've shifted my focus now. If I get an ich outbreak again then I won't be removing any fish, I lost quite a few fish (potentially to the stress of being chased around the tank while sick) the first time around. Now I feed heavily, my fish are healthy and showing good colouration, chances of ich being in my tank still.....probably around 98% I'd say, but I firmly believe there are a lot of people out there who don't think they have ich in their tank that actually do.

The very first time I did TTM it failed. I had to slow down and perform the transfers more carefully. Since then it has been fool proof. Just my experience...good luck.

Back