QT Quick question

Do you have Prazipro to treat with for the flukes and internals? If not get some and do two treatments 5 days apart

Not to be cynical, but here is a painful lesson I learned early on.

In general, if a fish has not been properly treated with cupramine or the tank transfer method, I just assume it has ich. Not visually seeing it doesn't mean it's not there.

+^1 this was my major flaw I will never do again. Do yourself a favor and QT the clowns and TT them and leaving your DT fallow is the only way without killing inverts to rid the tank of ich. If it's there the AT will let you know and quickly

Hey thank you Dmorty! I appreciate the response. Yes I have prazipro and will begin treatment tomorrow as I have the day to monitor him. Also the PH in the QT was 7.7, very low, I have slowly raised it to 7.95 in the last 4 hours or so and the fish has already been seeming way happier. His color has changed to black in since the raise in PH. He has never stopped eating so he is still eating like a pig which is a great thing. I plan on running Prazi for 5 days, I have a question what do I do about water changes during prazi?

You can probably go 5 days without a water change, just monitor ammonia. Do you have an ammonia alert badge?

Yup had it since day 1, The QT is well into 3 weeks. I have overfed for 2 of those weeks. There is 1 piece of LR, with a HOB filter that has a sponge in it. I would imagine that the bacteria has already established itself. I'm guessing to do a 50%+ water change on it tomorrow right before the prazi should help. As far as the treatment goes, Treat prazi for 5 days, then do a 100% water change and treat again?

Fish is doing well. He eats like a pig still. Last night I FW dipped him for 5 min to try and find any flukes as I expect he has flukes. It was tough to determine if he does have them or not. Today I notice a white thing on the tip of his fin, Anyone know any disease related to that? 100% sure not ich, possibly lymphcystis or can it be a fluke on the tip of his fin?
Anyways I started treated PraziPro today, to be honest it hasnt even phased him. Ate like a champ before and still does since the treatment started. I will keep you postponed.

As I noted since day 1 the fish seemed restless, which made some sense given that he was packaged, shipped, unpackaged, and thrown into a new world. I noticed 2 things on this species now.
1. After I FW dipped him he seemed very relaxed 1 hour after the dip and for about 2 hours after.
2. Seems very relaxed almost at home today(24hrs Since PraziPro was added). Not pacing back and forth with fins up, not beating up the glass, not seeming frantic, he seems very content.
I was told that this species is very restless and maybe so but I have come to realize that he must have had flukes or such parasite bothering him.

Today he is really finicky on what he eats, he is still eating red and green seaweed, but spirulana and brine he is spitting back out. He eats the first few then is really picky, he has never been picky with those foods. Must be the prazi suppressing his appetite which is normal from my understanding. Can flukes also cause a fish to almost eat relentlessly because they are starving him of nutrients?

Also seemed to almost "open" up his gills and shake as something may be in there, has anyone witnessed anything like this during the treatment of prazipro? I just want to make sure its working.

Sounds like things are going well. I'm no expert, but shaking of the head is normally the fish trying to shake something out of it's gills (some sort of parasite).

Just give the prazi some time, and possibly hit it with a second dose after this round is over.

My plan is 2 start him on the second dose Thursday. He hasn't really ate any meaty foods, he only will eat seaweed at the moment. So I may give him some time until he is eating until I hit him with the second dose.

As I noted since day 1 the fish seemed restless, which made some sense given that he was packaged, shipped, unpackaged, and thrown into a new world. I noticed 2 things on this species now.
1. After I FW dipped him he seemed very relaxed 1 hour after the dip and for about 2 hours after.
2. Seems very relaxed almost at home today(24hrs Since PraziPro was added). Not pacing back and forth with fins up, not beating up the glass, not seeming frantic, he seems very content.
I was told that this species is very restless and maybe so but I have come to realize that he must have had flukes or such parasite bothering him.

Today he is really finicky on what he eats, he is still eating red and green seaweed, but spirulana and brine he is spitting back out. He eats the first few then is really picky, he has never been picky with those foods. Must be the prazi suppressing his appetite which is normal from my understanding. Can flukes also cause a fish to almost eat relentlessly because they are starving him of nutrients?

I really think you're looking at this backwards. He's not "relaxed" by the dips and medication as much as, well, tired and stressed? Restless or "active" in quarantine is a good thing, and a behavior change to where he's sitting in his PVC after being active should be noted as a side effect of the medication - rather than not being bothered by parasites. You've also noticed a decrease in appetite, also a side effect. No, flukes will not cause increased appetite. Discontinue FW dips, continue the treatment since you've already started.

So I may give him some time until he is eating until I hit him with the second dose.

I don't recall what day you started prazi, however, it is pointless to delay the second treatment. If he's eating seaweed, that's enough for now. The point of running two separate rounds of prazi (prazi 5-7 days, WC, wait a couple days, prazi 5-7 days), is to knock out the fluke lifecycle. The first round will kill adult flukes, but not the eggs. The second round is timed to kill hatched eggs before they have time to reproduce themselves. If you wait on the second round, they will have eggs of their own and you'll need to continue doing treatments. This is assuming the fish even has flukes.

Back