quality dosing pump?

dont I need the profilux controller for this unit?

There is a stand alone Doser 2 unit that works ..... well, stand alone :lol: Recent firmware upgrade now allows it to control the slave unit as well. I did a lot of research when buying a doser and concluded the GHL was the best tradeoff for me between quality and cost. I've only been running it for about 7 months so cannot comment on long-term reliability. Should be able to offer some insight in about 5 years .....

Doser is not something I would skimp on personally.

I have a Bubble Magus and I never realised how far it was out until I switched from Balling lite to classic each channel is set to very different amounts in order to dose 180ml a day but having said that once each channel is set they will each dose exactly 15ml every 2 hours

Spectrapure all the way for me now. BRS 1.1ml has been good to me as well dosing vinegar for many years. I won't touch and would never recommend the BRS 50ml peristaltic pump again. I've gone through several of them and each one failing the exact same way with the gears stripping and looks like I'm not the only one with that issue.

I had the 50ml fail same way after 11 months. My pair of 1.1ml for 2 part are about 2yrs old and still working fine. I know a fellow reefer that has bin using Bubble Magnus for over 2 yrs without issue.

I think Im gonna order 2 of the BRS 1.1 after work and control them via my reefkeeper.
thanks for the insight guys!

i have read a few times that the BRS 1.1 dosers are not recommended for larger tanks... like tanks over 120 gal. Claim the low amount dosed will cause them to have to run long periods during the day wearing the pump out. Any truth to that? I am looking at the brs 1.1 for my 140 gal.

Also where can i get info on how to program my apex for the brs doser?

i have read a few times that the BRS 1.1 dosers are not recommended for larger tanks... like tanks over 120 gal.

Yes, this is true. The reason is that the BRS pumps aren't rated for continuous duty, and like all dosing pumps based on inexpensive direct drive DC motors, they'll wear out and/or burn out after a certain number of hours. But even BRS will tell you this; they're intended for those that simply wouldn't purchase a dosing pump at a higher price point. They also fit well for an inexpensive frag tank since they can be run with simple timers.

Also where can i get info on how to program my apex for the brs doser?

The Apex manual has examples, and the Apex forum on Neptune's site is also quite helpful.

If you have an Apex I would recommend the Neptune Dos, very simple to setup and works for dosing as well as Auto Water Change which is what I currently use one of my two Dos's for.

Which dower should i be looking at that will last/work for my 140 gal? Or is it the same for all dosers that they wear out if over used? How long do those typically last by the way?

Is it the same with the neptune dose, it will wear out fast? i have also heard the neptune dower is loud?

At least in theory, both the GHL and Neptune dosers should easily outlast the others because they use stepper motor drives. These types of motors are considerably more rugged than inexpensive direct-drive dc motors. However, as with anything, there are other components in a dosing unit besides the motors that can fail, and both the GHL 2.0 and the Neptune D.O.S. are a bit too new to have established a track record.

Personally I am looking at the pacific sun kore 5th doser. It looks like a great product and good support. There is a huge thread on it. Also looking at the new kamoer f05x, kamoer has a great rep for being a solid doser, this new one is wifi, has 5 pumps with two of them being steppers. My only problem with the apex as I also planing an getting that, is for the cost you only get two pumps, with spending a little more money you can get so much more. I am personally looking at needing 3 dosers and would like to do a awc as well.

One thing you do get for $$ with the Neptune D.O.S. is reversibility - so far as I know, that's unique in dosing pump design. The reversibility allows, for example, using one channel and switching valve to do water changes. Scott Leif (Sleif) uses the reversing function to use one channel as a refrigerated food doser.

Back