Question about cleaner shrimp

NanoReefWanabe

i bought a couple of them the other day in hopes they would chose a sex and pair up...i am just wondering what kind of behavior i can expect to see during the pairing process? will it be similar to watching clowns?

They're simultaneous hermaphrodites, so they won't change sex. I've never seen any particular behaviors that seemed "pairy," but mine were together when I bought them. They just hang out together a lot (and they'll have green eggs on their abdomens if they are paired up). I did add another one, but they pretty much bullied that one until it died.

They're simultaneous hermaphrodites, so they won't change sex. I've never seen any particular behaviors that seemed "pairy," but mine were together when I bought them. They just hang out together a lot (and they'll have green eggs on their abdomens if they are paired up). I did add another one, but they pretty much bullied that one until it died.

+1

When one of them molts, the other will transfer sperm to it while it's still soft, then you'll see eggs shortly thereafter. When the other one molts, the same thing will happen. Mine are both carrying eggs right now for the 2nd time.

The only result you will get from the babies is free coral food, raising them in aquariums hasn't been achieved yet.

+1

When one of them molts, the other will transfer sperm to it while it's still soft, then you'll see eggs shortly thereafter. When the other one molts, the same thing will happen. Mine are both carrying eggs right now for the 2nd time.

The only result you will get from the babies is free coral food, raising them in aquariums hasn't been achieved yet.

thankyou to you and the poster you quoted, exactly what i wanted to hear...so that means they can both have boy names then...LOL Steve and Wiskers.

Back