Question about my Polyps/Zoanthids

Volitan_Lion_13

i have a 75 reef with some Pulsing Xenia, Flouresent Xenia, Purple Mushrooms (3 Different Kinds) (All Purple, Purple with Blue Dots, and Purple with Green Dots, which all came with my LR. I also have a Ricordia Mushroom, and Chili Coral. then i have my zoanthids.. i Have Yellow Polyps, Super Orange Zoos, Red Zoos, and Green Zoos. All of my Zoanthids appear to be dieing off(the heads have withdrawn into the trunks and they have gotten really skinny..) but ALL of my other coral is doing great...i had the lights on for about 11 hrs and cut it down to 6 b/c the electric bill was really high.. i have put the light back up to about 9 hrs and its been at that for about a week..does anyone know what happened and why? thnx in advance.. :(

Can you post your water parameters? We will need updated levels, not what they were the last time you checked or what you think they are. If you do not have a test kit, see if one of your LFS will test for you.

You might want to check your pH. It may have dropped as a result of the decreased photoperiod. Also, check your temperature. We are approaching summer and temperatures are increasing. Have you cut out your A/C because of high bill costs?

Finding out your water parameters will be the first step. If they are all in line, we can look towards other irritants such as external or internal parasites/predators. Zoanthids seem to be one of the most common carriers of these.

Looking forward to your next post and good luck :)

If the zoanthids are the only coral in your tank that's not doing well, I would suspect you have a zoanthid predator of some sort.
Pictures would help.
If you do a search for nudibranchs, and sundial snails you should be able to find some pictures that should give you an idea what to look for.

How many different zoa rocks are we talking about? How far apart are then in the tank, are they all right by each other?

How long have you had these zoas in there? Where they all fine before and did this all start to take place after adding some new zoas?

I would check PH right before you shut the lights off and then check right before you turn them on to see what kind of a swing your getting.

Also, like mentions above, could you post your parameters. Also if you have a pic that shows some of the zoas close up that might help.

Hopefully if you can provide some of this info along with picture/s perhaps we can help you out.

Back