Question for Melev or others that culture phytoplankton

Sorry it crashed. Did you shake the bottle daily for 15 seconds? Did you use tap water or RO/DI? How much DTs did you use? What was the salinity of the water, and how strongly was it bubbling?

No, Miracle Grow doesn't need to be stored in the fridge. I keep it in the fish room, but you could keep it under the sink where it is nice and cool.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8153016#post8153016 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Sorry it crashed. Did you shake the bottle daily for 15 seconds? Did you use tap water or RO/DI? How much DTs did you use? What was the salinity of the water, and how strongly was it bubbling?

No, Miracle Grow doesn't need to be stored in the fridge. I keep it in the fish room, but you could keep it under the sink where it is nice and cool.

Yes I shaked bottle. I used tap water mixed to 1.019. I used about 5 ounced of Dt's per 2 liter. It bubbled so that it looked like it was boiling.

Oh and I was wondering about storing micro algea grow not the miracle grow.

Thanks for your help, Jeff

I used Melev's directions.

I used DT's and Miracle Grow.

The first batch was light, the 4-5 generations were dark green.
I discontinued my production because eventually I ended up with a cyano bloom. I stopped dosing and it went away.

I blame the miracle grow :D

Thats just it, the bloom caused me to invenst in my first long overdue phosphate test kit. all my readings came back as close to 0 as a testkit for us can show. I took it to my LFS and same result. I was also assuming at the time I was dealing with phosphates and were using two different products to export phosphate without any effect on cyano.

I had the cyano for a period of about 2 months during which I dosed phyto. I stopped, the phyto went away. I later began dosing phytohomebrew again and it had the same effect.

My intentions were to try growing phyto with Micro Algae Grow to see if there would be a difference.

It should bubble, but not a rolling boil. Maybe I'll add video clip to my page one day. Or suggest it look like this:

bubbles.gif

Maybe not quite that strong though. :eek:

Back