Question for Reefbreeders and Chinese box led owners!

One fish

In Memoriam
HI Reef Central. I am having a horrible time trying to figure out how I should run my leds and am hoping you guys could share your intensity and time schedule with me or give me some advice on how to properly run/use them.
I have another tank with a kessil 150 and every coral I put in does GREAT! Now with the Led box I have my little soft coral and frogspawn are just not doing what they were doing under the kessil.
Also, are moonlights used to grow the coral also? I am so confused with this fixture:sad1:
Thanks a bunch.

What was the wattage, intensity settings (blue and white) and timing you used on the Kessil?

I have 2 reefs (180g and 65g) and both have Chinese boxes with sunrise/sunset controllers and moonlights. The 180g has been running with these leds for over 30 months (1000w of MH for 3+ years before that). The 65g has been on leds since day one about 18 months ago.

I do a 5 to 6 hour sunrise to a midday setting of 80% to 100% blue and 40% to 60% white and then a 6 to 8 hour sunset. The longer sunset is for my viewing pleasure. Your coral's photosynthetic zooxanthellae thrive much more from blue spectrum light than any other, so running as much blue as you and the coral can tolerate is useful. For you it's an ascetics issue, do you like the look of the tank. For your coral it's a physical issue of 'bleaching' the coral which is kind of like you or me getting a sunburn. The moonlights have no effect I'm aware of in helping with growth or health of corals in our aquariums. The phases of the real moon does have an affect on real reef corals.

I have two tanks with chinese LEDs, they are old school ones. They are dimmable, but don't have a way to ramp up or down other than manually turning a knob. my total lighting period is 12 hours, an hour before and after the whites come on/off.

Back