Questions for moderators about fishing with cyanide

yorkfire

I was doing a research paper for a college course and I chose to my research on fishing methods that use cyanide. So I have some questions that I would like a moderator to answer. Thanks!

1. What are your thoughts on fishing methods that contain the use of sodium cyanide?

2. Explain how cyanide effects the reef environment?

3. Is this method of fishing causing coral reefs to become endangered?

4. If so, what actions can be taken to solve this problem?

5. Are the fishermen who use cyanide aware of the damage they are causing?

6. How many countries do you know of that currently allow fishing with cyanide?

7. Please, explain how cyanide fishing works?

8. Are there currently any preventive actions being initiated, in order to stop cyanide fishing, which you know of?

9. Is the U.S checking fish for traces of cyanide before they are being sold to retailers?

10. It is currently illegal to use cyanide to catch fish in Florida reefs, but do you think that fish are still being caught regardless of current laws? Also, do you know if the coast guard searches for fisherman using cyanide?

Try looking at the January issue of Reef Keeping magazine. There was an excellent article on the use of cyanide. After you read the article click on the authors forum link to read some of the discussions.
Fred

Why do you want a moderator to answer these questions? And why do I feel like you are wanting the respondents to do the work for your paper? ;)

I just need one person to answer the questions thats why I asked for a mod. I am not cheating, it is required for this portion of the research paper. I can send you proof of instructions and what I have already done for the paper. Actually, I wouldnt' mind if you helped me melev. I constantly use your website as a reference and it seems as if you have a pretty good knowledge and understanding of reefs.

It seems that you are inferring that the Mods are better informed that anyone else on RC. I think they would agree with that.
Just Kidding.
LOL
Fred

Being a moderator here can at the very least be spun into a professional credential. (whether or not it really is is another question)

If just anybody answers his questions without some verifiable academic, professional or experience related credentials it isn't worth anything to his research paper. Asking for an answer from a mod guarantees he can at least make his source appear credible. Not to say that it isn't truly so.

I don't know this guy, just my .02 from having written my fair share of research essays.

Most mods are users like you or me that volunteer their time to see that the rules of the board are followed. No reef knowledge is needed as much as IT knowledge. I would also never have included remarks in a paper that did not have relevant data to back them up. Of course I do not have a very high opinion of PHD's, its what is done with them. If he had asked for staff he then would have gotten some people with advanced degrees.
I was just joking about it and waiting for beerguy to answer.
My apologies for interfering.
Fred

Re: Questions for moderators about fishing with cyanide

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6744481#post6744481 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yorkfire
I was doing a research paper for a college course and I chose to my research on fishing methods that use cyanide. So I have some questions that I would like a moderator to answer. Thanks!

1. What are your thoughts on fishing methods that contain the use of sodium cyanide?

I prefer stun guns and gill nets :D , seriously, it is a bad practice, it causes a great deal of collateral damage to the reefs, can kill the diver himself and it gives the industry a bad name, besides that very few of the fish will live for long.

2. Explain how cyanide effects the reef environment?

It can kill anything it touches, including the corals if the dose is high enough

3. Is this method of fishing causing coral reefs to become endangered?

Probably but it is not as great a threat as sewage and general eutrophication

4. If so, what actions can be taken to solve this problem?

Realistically, not much. Their is not much regulation in the poor countries where this method is used, barring wholesalers refusing to purchase fish they know are caught with cyanide and using economic pressure, little if anything can be done, in my opinion and the wholesaler is probably not always aware

5. Are the fishermen who use cyanide aware of the damage they are causing?

Probably, but given a choice between starvation and damaging a reef- which would you choose. Cyanide is easy, no skill required, and it catches a large amount of fish very quickly.

6. How many countries do you know of that currently allow fishing with cyanide?

My understanding is Bali is the worst offender and the Phillipines have improved greatly

7. Please, explain how cyanide fishing works?

A solution of sodium cyanide is used in a squirt bottle to stun fish hiding the reef.

8. Are there currently any preventive actions being initiated, in order to stop cyanide fishing, which you know of?

Several projects have been undertaken by the industry, including teaching proper net collection and providing netting, trying to identify collectors of fish who use cyanide by autopsy

9. Is the U.S checking fish for traces of cyanide before they are being sold to retailers?

Some private conservation groups are doing this but it is not legally mandated

10. It is currently illegal to use cyanide to catch fish in Florida reefs, but do you think that fish are still being caught regardless of current laws? Also, do you know if the coast guard searches for fisherman using cyanide?

I don't think cyanide fishing is of any concern in the Florida reefs, the Red Sea, or the Great Barrier reef, or Tonga or Fiji or the Solomons for that matter. Collectors in these areas may use other drugs like MS222, which is a cocaine like drug which wears off and if used properly is just a temporary anasthesia

I am not an expert on this topic, just answering your questions to the best of my ability.

Sorry Roger, but PI isn't any better the Bali. MS222 is fine by itself, but, they have to use rubbing alchohol or bleach for the carrying agent. MS222 (quin) is NOT used in any of those countries that you listed, other the the US (the only country on the planet that gives permits for it's use), as a MO collection method, it's fricken expensive. They use quin in many Atlantic collection areas, but not the Pacific really. SI is known to have cyanide being used, but not in major amounts. Vietnam, Bali, PI, Haiti, SI and several other counties use cyanide as a collection method! The Red Sea has had reports of cyanide use. There is no CDT (cyanide detection test) being implemented in any country currently as the current protocals that Dr Rubec and others have come up with is being disputed by the private conservation groups (MAC maily). The CDT was being used in PI years ago, but all testing has all but stopped. The CDT will have a VERY hard time being used stateside as within 2 weeks, the by-product that the CDT looks for is all but gone, PLUS, it's a naturally occuring substance. After a decade working on this subject, I have a hard time stomaching the lack of information the public see's (and know's - although it's all found by a simple web search of www.reefs.org), and the amount of miss-information that is thrown up as flack!

Why ask mods on this forum, why not ask people in the know, like Steve Robinson (Cortez Marine on this site and www.reefs.org 's Industry Behind the Hobby) or Dr Peter Rubec?

BTW, North West Bali is cyanide free! Same with several places in PI. It's too bad that the worst offendors "outshine" the good things the good guys are doing. Ruwi needs to be thanked publicly, so here it is:

Thanks Ruwi and co for your above and beyond efforts in cleaning up Bali and it's surrounding areas. You guys rock!!!!!

:D Thanks Roger. I'd honestly rather you (anyone wanting info on this subject) email Steve Robinson since he's been the worlds largest contributer to this area and has been involved in it since the extremelly early 80's. He was the one that blew the lid on this by doing a fact finding mission and writting a ton of articles in FAMA, and a few other magazines.

I'm working on a website to host Steve's early articles, Dr Peter Rubecs papers and any other papers and such I can get my hands on. It should be up in a few months.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6765428#post6765428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
<i>This thread has been moved to the current forum.</i>

out of my forum :)

Got any comments on the topic at hand?;)

I have a feeling we'll be hearing from Jaime B. real soon. He to has spent a lot of time on this subject and is quite up to date on it. His opinion on it does differ from that of Steve Robinson, on minor points only. They both hole heartenly agree that it;s horriable and wrong, but they have different idea's on what should be done, what has been done and each others importance on the issue. Like Steve, Jaime has spent his own money to help on the cause and should be commended for it.

Something I've never said in the past:

Jaime, thanks for your contributions to further the end of cyanide abuse of MOF collections!

I would also like to thank anyone who had/has a hand in the reporting and attempting to end the collection of marine ornamental fish by cyanide or other chemical means.
Thank You
Fred

Back