Questions on mixing salt

ktrandc

Premium Member
I'm mixing my own salt water. I'm using Tropic Marin Pro salt. I have a 55 gallon drum. Is there a general rule of thumb on how much cups to use per volume of water. I've been told to do about 1 cup per 5 gallons of water and then adjust with refractometer. Does that sound about right? Thanks.

Well I would double check with others first!! LOL

Besides, it's not a problem to be way under as oppose to being way over your desired salinity!!

How much is it costing you guys to mix your own water per gallon? I buy my mine at a lfs for .39 a gallon. Its easy for me since I only use about 20 gallons at a time.

Yeah the general rule of thumb is half a cup of salt per gallon of water. I usually get a SG of around 1.025 when mixing in this manner

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15634462#post15634462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquariumclown
I think your way off. I'm doing about 1 cup for every 2 gallon with DD

1 cup for every 2 gal sounds right. I use IO, the 200 gal/box and it comes in 4 smaller bag inside. I use 1 bag for every 50 gal and no measurements. the reading is very constant.

That's cheap. Is it NSW? I used to buy from Socal (Tropic Marin) and it would cost me .75/gallon. I'm hoping mixing my own will cost less although I haven't done the math on how much it will end up costing me. Initial cost has been:

1. 4 Stage RO unit from Bulk Reef Supply $200
2. DI from Bulk Reef Supply $40
3. 55 gallon drum with float valve & connections $100
4. Tropic Marin Pro salt mix $60

So initial cost is $400 not including the water I'm running to mix the salt with (don't know how to calculate that). My salt mix makes 200 gallons. At .75 per gallon it would have cost me $150 purchasing at LFS, so I'm saving around $80 per bag so I figure it'll be around 5 or 6 months before I see the savings but I plan on using it for a long time.

SooOOooOoo... i know this should be simple logic but i just want to make sure i have this 100% clear... I will be mixing my own salt tonight and dont wanna mess up.... what you guys are saying is... 1/2 cup per gallon? So 5 cups of salt should make 10 gallons of mixed water correct?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15634756#post15634756 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ktrandc
That's cheap. Is it NSW? I used to buy from Socal (Tropic Marin) and it would cost me .75/gallon. I'm hoping mixing my own will cost less although I haven't done the math on how much it will end up costing me. Initial cost has been:

1. 4 Stage RO unit from Bulk Reef Supply $200
2. DI from Bulk Reef Supply $40
3. 55 gallon drum with float valve & connections $100
4. Tropic Marin Pro salt mix $60

So initial cost is $400 not including the water I'm running to mix the salt with (don't know how to calculate that). My salt mix makes 200 gallons. At .75 per gallon it would have cost me $150 purchasing at LFS, so I'm saving around $80 per bag so I figure it'll be around 5 or 6 months before I see the savings but I plan on using it for a long time.

Yea, don't forget to factor in the time and gas to go to the store to haul the water back once a week or 2ice a week.

1/2c p/ gal and add the salt to the water to bring it up to salinity vs. adding the water to the salt. The later will precipitate the calcium out of it.

Good point. I won't miss lugging those 50 lbs water containers into and out of my car although visiting Tom's store was nice. It'll save me money not looking at all the nice equipment he has there.

I dont really mind going to pick up the water but after I factor in the toll road and gas I probably dont save anything. Im was thinking about an ro/di unit but I can get that at a closer lfs for .37 a gallon and 5 gallons lasts me a week between both my tanks. What is nsw?

i remeber when i was using tmp, it was more like 2 cup every 5 gallon, and small adjustment from there depends on if i want 1.026 or less.

I weigh my salt. 140 grams per gallon usually brings me very close to 1.026 SG. Some salts require slightly more.

Back