Radium 250 vs 400 watt spectrum

abhishek@1985

Hi guys,

I currently run radium 250 watts on m80 ballast over a 30 in x 30 in x 18 in tank . The reflector is a Hamilton Comuzel 20 in x 20 in and its around 6-8 inches off the water surface .

However, am thinking of moving to a 400 watt radium run on electronic ballast luxcore in superlumens mode.
The reflector will be moved around 16 inches off the water surface .

Question is is it a good move considering its a fairly big tank foorprint and I generally like to keep acros on the floor .
How is the spectrum different between 400 and 250 watt radium ?

Regards,
Abhishek

You can compare the spectrums by plugging the lights into Sanjay's lighting guide. They are generally similar but it does depend on the ballast.

Do you have a PAR meter? The 250w Radium running on an M80 puts out a ton of PAR. On an 18" tank I'd be shocked if the PAR levels weren't high all throughout the tank.

You can compare the spectrums by plugging the lights into Sanjay's lighting guide. They are generally similar but it does depend on the ballast.

Do you have a PAR meter? The 250w Radium running on an M80 puts out a ton of PAR. On an 18" tank I'd be shocked if the PAR levels weren't high all throughout the tank.

Thanks for the reply.

I rent out PAR meter to test . Its pretty good with around 350 -200 PAR all thorughout the tank . However, as am increasing my acro collection, am looking to put more and more in the 200 PAR range .

Looking at 400 watts to have a higher spread of light in a larger reflector as the tank is 30 in x 30 in footprint.

Regards,
Abhishek

Spectrum could be the exact same, or totally different. It depends what ballast you are using. I had a 400w radium running on a PFO HQI ballast on my 58g (36x20x18) worked great. Currently running one on my frag tank which is 36x30x18, grows anything anywhere. If you can deal with the heat, go for it.

Spectrum could be the exact same, or totally different. It depends what ballast you are using. I had a 400w radium running on a PFO HQI ballast on my 58g (36x20x18) worked great. Currently running one on my frag tank which is 36x30x18, grows anything anywhere. If you can deal with the heat, go for it.

Thanks for the reply. Well heat is not a problem luckily that I live in Minnesota - one of the coldest regions !! If anthing more heat helps to run less heaters in tank .
I wish I could find a PFO HQI but have luxcore switchable ballast which is electronic .

Any experience running on electronic hqi mode ? What reflector do you use and how high do you have it setup ?

Regards,
Abhishek

I have 3 250w Radiums on luxcore superlumen setting in Hamilton Cayman Sun reflectors on my 180. The glass on the fixture is 8” above the water level. I haven’t measured PAR, but am about to rehang the lights another 4” higher in my canopy because I think the par is too high. The SPS frags I have on the sand bed have more color and are growing faster than anywhere else in the tank ��. I looked at two 400w on SL, but hanging three bulbs higher up on these reflectors would give me better coverage for the same wattage. The Cayman sun is a spotlight reflector instead of a floodlight reflector, if that makes sense.

it will be more blue running on the electronic ballast than your magnetic m80 ballast which is the correct ballast for radium.

Does anyone even make m80 ballasts still. Thought all have gone electronic now. I didnt personally think they looked too blue on a Luxcore ballast. And I dont use the superlumens mode - mostly because I have never know why to do it, 400w on a 400w bulb just seems like the correct way to do it.

the m80 is still made by hammilton i believe but is speced for the 250w radium, i believe you need a m81 for a 400w

Does anyone even make m80 ballasts still. Thought all have gone electronic now. I didnt personally think they looked too blue on a Luxcore ballast. And I dont use the superlumens mode - mostly because I have never know why to do it, 400w on a 400w bulb just seems like the correct way to do it.
Just got 2 M80 from Hamilton to run my 250 Radium

Back