Rae's pics-of EVERYTHING!!!

Guys and gals, lets split this mug on a HAPPY note. Lets see/hear about somehappy tank and reefing news. I love my tiny little reef, and I love RC. Speak up....come on people......gve it up! Show us what you are proud of!

My new 28 gallon JBJ HQI will be here tomorrow!

JB7235_99.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14321505#post14321505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by timschmidt

JB7235_99.jpg

Heeey Tim, That's great news. Can't wait to see it!:smokin:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14321505#post14321505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by timschmidt

JB7235_99.jpg
Congratulations! Starting a new build thread?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14322576#post14322576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HumanIMDB
Congratulations! Starting a new build thread?

I would love a nice nano build thread too!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14322697#post14322697 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Henryreef

what is stopping you;)

nice purchase Tim:smokin:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14322782#post14322782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
Rae: what progress have you made on your sons tank?

I have made none! :( I quess I will be emptying and starting from scratch. What do you suggest with the corals and fish? How long after the rfill can I put them back in the tank? Should I just put them in the 10gl qt until they are ready to go back?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14322697#post14322697 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Henryreef

+2 on the build. Do it do it do it!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14322808#post14322808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raen
I have made none! :( I quess I will be emptying and starting from scratch. What do you suggest with the corals and fish? How long after the rfill can I put them back in the tank? Should I just put them in the 10gl qt until they are ready to go back?

Fill the 10 gal tank up with new salt water. Put a heater on it and bring it up to the temp of the main tank

Remove the live rock directly to the 10 gal
Remove alot of the water from the main tank so you can catch the fish ect easier

After everything is in the 10 gal take down the main tank
Rinse new argonite and put it in, put back the live rock--fill the main tank back up with preheated new salt water(if you add the water against the live rock you should not get a snow storm.
Add the fish and critters back.

If you are organized(preheat the salt water) you should have no cycling and have the new tank back in operation in less than an hour.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14322808#post14322808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raen
Sorry Rae, I probably don't have much to offer in the way of advice. You're battling an outbreak of red slime (cyano bacteria), correct?

How old is the tank?

Here is what I would do if the 10g nano that we had was having this problem and all of the conventional "in tank" solutions had failed; which is what I'm assuming is the case here:
- Get another 10g Tank (~$17 CAD at the local pet superstore)
- Get a new bag of substrate if I didn't have any left over
- Take a good sized piece of live rock from the existing tank and put it in the new tank
- Let the new tank sit for at least a week with a couple of powerheads and a heater but no lights
- Move some/all of the fish (depending on how many you have and the size of the rock you moved over) from the existing tank to the new tank
- Wait a week or two and then add the rest of the rock and coral

I would hate to do all of that though...is the outbreak really bad or can you just ride it out?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14323175#post14323175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HumanIMDB
Sounds like Scott and I are on the same page. :)

Always Chris;)

Actually I just did this last weekend with the 30 gal that burst on me.
Under one hour to completely change the tank out with new argonite

However:eek:
5 hours mopping up 30 gal of water and throwing out rugs(they were a bad idea anyways)
8 hours cleaning out the rest of the basement(because my wife ventured down to the fish room):lol: :rollface: :lol:

Last edited:
Hey, another split! yay Rae!

Let's see. Good news...my mandarin is fat and happy! All is stable and thriving, including the bryopsis shrubs!

The freshwater tank looks a little green, but the frog is getting fatter and the loach and pleco are happy.

Dog, cat, and birds are entertaining each other.

The kids are finally not grounded anymore. Ahh the freedom!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14326846#post14326846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by out

Let's see. Good news...my mandarin is fat and happy! All is stable and thriving, including the bryopsis shrubs!

The freshwater tank looks a little green, but the frog is getting fatter and the loach and pleco are happy.

good news Rae:cool:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14326846#post14326846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by out

Woooooooooo Hooooooooooo! Great news. The most important thing, the kids are not grounded! Yeah! ;) Good for you girl!

Up for a bit of a water change today. I am not feeling it!!! I am going to divew into Grahams tank tomorrow. Today we are headingto the slopes. Getting to take advantage of a 55* day. Oh yeah, and the SUN!!! INTENSE PHOTOs to follow.

Back