RAP! What you get?

The show sucked! Poorly designed, the booths were way too small, no real deals till 4:45 pm 15 minutes before they closed. A bunch of hyped up named corals. It's all the sme corals. There is no magical reef where these people get this stuff. There is a sucker born every minute.

The show sucked! Poorly designed, the booths were way too small, no real deals till 4:45 pm 15 minutes before they closed. A bunch of hyped up named corals. It's all the sme corals. There is no magical reef where these people get this stuff. There is a sucker born every minute.

Have you gone to previous shows to compare? I felt this was way more spacious than the first one I went to two years ago...

I definitely thought it was smaller than last year even though they claimed to have expanded. Last years show was in 2 large ballrooms with what felt like more actual livestock vendors. Half the floor this year was dry goods and other equipment manufacturers. Which is fine I like seeing all the new innovations as well. I only go to pick up the items that are rare and costly around our area but cheap where some of these vendors come from. I also love making deals and think it is hilarious to see one booth selling say a 2 polyp frag of fruit loops for $100 and the booth 2 aisles down has an 8 polyp frag for $20.

If you're looking for crazy cheap prices, find someone breaking down their tanks on craigslist. Not sure why you thought vendors would spend the extra time and money to come to the show just to sell cheap corals and a discounted price. If anything, you should have expected retail with a few small deals thrown in, which is exactly what it was.

I picked up some great stuff about mid-day on Sunday that was easily 30-40% cheaper than what they would have been anywhere else, including here on RC.

I also love making deals and think it is hilarious to see one booth selling say a 2 polyp frag of fruit loops for $100 and the booth 2 aisles down has an 8 polyp frag for $20.

Case and point, I picked up a 6 polyp frag of Utter Chaos for $25!

I spoke to Rev about that, IrishTang, he said they limited the livestock vendors this year in favor of the manufacturers this year. If you prefer to see more livestock, I would let the organizers know.

I have one picture to remind everyone to have fun at these events...
_PhqqtIraLzOJn8ZzQRnLX8wcmw47EkcN4HQZFN-DvmKCP7EyoKSRJlHdb4DriVG_0mwcdY_wAfw5i-j9SjCv2SzcNa9dhCKajgzFLq8NPM__bJI_7pOFgwY9ut2CG-gwg-qQu_q62e1xYaUplV6yG48W-oYPlnSJ9LnqTL26BXfJ2LzSe7wljJYy1P9CMMg_idKlMgFAHW3Nha0nTIpj8EZHq82VFQ50F2KwyxJ7hOnvXGyYkx_NYi_UeC45B2VQVcIJn2GGPgX4KVQ_y-rPRXqsAYtkxAFJH3O1haGyl9UpIZufi7JnSdBmDfaZ801waefU0UKZwRo2oSf1QKIc-wC8nHWsSqHRgX2-mj4H3E8pn1ZO8Y2-qsy0nqOP29_B61qWoH7FvTv51xfHCTshjPRMWxY2DOEHtl1Wbvs3AwjNiM19x-lVyq1uG-uufMuUVpjdAZS-_BZCAAk0h9GU0Y9bBKBITGyNphBjKosNbO0bTDCYSZgej0GOO06A2kBwRRS31uyn9lWPGoiHO9Y8GUlC3FYs-oa2Z0rjmLNRp80kW8GdFjnQA_eQPo0OuPUc6tR=w527-h936-no

Awesome pic. Good to see the next generation.
I got a hangover ;-) 4 am was not the best time to head back to the room.
I hope everyone enjoy my buddies booth. ACI Aquaculture. I am biased of course but I thought it was awesome.

I particuarly enjoyed picking up my raffle prize at their booth.

between that and two prize packs of rod's food I did pretty well in the raffle, I at least broke even.

I had brought a cooler to bring home frozen food samples and ran out of space :)

This was my first experience of any sort with a convention/frag swap.

I showed up later in the day on Sunday around 2:15pm.

While everyone was in the raffle, the exhibit hall was much more manageable to shop.

It was my first time meeting the owners of the following companies.

World Wide Corals - Victor & Lou including Jacob

Jason Fox - Mr. Fox

Reefers Direct - Steve

The Stormborn Reef - respectfully their names slip my mind at the moment but incredibly nice.

Morgan the reef gardner - Morgan

Joe knows reefs - Joe

To my surprise all of them were extremely nice and were fully engaged in conversations with me about random topics. Some not even hobby related. Jason Fox shared with me his adventures to the Indo diving for corals and all the care he takes getting them back to the states. He mentions 30 hours travel time to just get to that area of the world then another day to get to the remote areas he dives to. So it is pretty cool to own some original JF if you find an opportunity.

Something to be said about these company owners in general willing to have a genuine impromptu conversation with an unknown like myself.

I also had some good dialogue with Ecotech, they even took the time to walk me across the hall to another vendor to educate me on a specific lighting inquiry I had. I can appreciate how professional they have always been from a customer service quality product standpoint.

As I was shopping with all the above, all of them minded their own business & not once did any of them speak negative about one another to win business.

I found it interesting that WWC and JF were neighbors. So if you had the time, you had the opportunity to discover best pricing on similar species of frags.

My list that I managed to procure:

Over the Rainbow Millipora

Jason Fox Flame Acropora

Reef Raft Asia

Pearlberry

Mr. Pacman

Tyree Rouge Millipora

Strawberry Fields Acropora

Strawberry Lemonade Acropora

Hawkins Echinata

Strawberry Shortcake Acropora

Superman Digitata

Orange Passion

3 more that slip my mind but they were Acropora. One being another rainbow variety of some sort.

My only regret was that I wish I could have met more vendors but at this point the raffle was over and it went back to being crowded again.

It was worth the trip, I encourage others to make the effort to visit the event when you can.

The only improvement I would suggest was to have a small consession stand nearby for soft drinks and snacks.

Last edited:
Awesome pic. Good to see the next generation.
I got a hangover ;-) 4 am was not the best time to head back to the room.
I hope everyone enjoy my buddies booth. ACI Aquaculture. I am biased of course but I thought it was awesome.

Rob,
Not sure if I met you, but I was with Steve from Stormborn, we were out to the facility on Thursday, ACI is the coolest group at the show, when you have Chris's huge personality, I guess that makes for a fun group leader, lol... The facility is sweet, I took home corals that day :) I did not take any home from the show though, lol...
Cheers,

I go to shows yo find stuff I can't buy locally, not bargains. Reefers realize their own struggles keeping corals well vendors have the same struggles. I don't mind paying an avg asking price for things I like. Hope everyone had a good time. These are the zoas I picked up. Purple orchids, blood shots, acid reflux & asskraks.

0c10475889b0f172bd0e9589406c2401.jpg
e0d97137c176466ffbc8a947ac8a9e12.jpg
4a90994521e5c2efa8f13f341a16f4e8.jpg
5d3c549eeedc0a3e4203d36161b20c1f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Aside from getting an expired bottle Nano pellets from from the Ocean Nutrition booth, I picked up a neon hammer, a frag of Purple Death and Nuclear Green palys, and a mixed no name Zoa frag!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure if we met or not Perry. I wasn't working, just hanging. Chris and I have been friends for many years. Always good to get to hang with him. I was also hanging with my Reefgrow buddies a lot. If we don't meet before next year make it a point to track me down.

I am not sure if we met or not Perry. I wasn't working, just hanging. Chris and I have been friends for many years. Always good to get to hang with him. I was also hanging with my Reefgrow buddies a lot. If we don't meet before next year make it a point to track me down.

Sound good Rob, I remember you and your username from years ago on the Tampa forum, glad to some of us still around... Hope all is well, and if you are ever near Daytona, PM me, would love for you to stop by and check out the tank, any pointers are always welcome :)

Here is my beauty that I got from RAP on Sunday. My absolute favorite coral is the acanthophyllia. I managed to find this one at the show and couldn't have gotten a better deal on it!! Thanks to Blue Seas

Attachments

• meat coral.jpg
    meat coral.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
Back