Rate this 40 breeder stock list

JMurphy97

Here is what I'm planning on stocking my 40 breeder with. This tank will be all sps with maybe some lps. I'm using a reef dynamics ins-100 skimmer and I have a reactor for carbon/gfo. I'm on the fence about if I'll run the carbon/gfo though. I like the idea of running only a skimmer and water changes. I'm looking for color and activity at all levels of the sand. Also currently I' bare bottom. Anyways here's the list and let me know any suggestions. Thanks.

2 O.Clownfish
3 Zebra Barred Darfish
Midas Blenny
Firefish (Purple or Helfrichi)
Royal Gramma
Banggai Cardinalfish

It's a little on the heavy side IMO, but I think it can work. If anything, I would probably loose one of the barred dartfish. GL.

The LFS said the royal gramma should be added last because it can become aggressive toward new fish. Is there any truth to this? What would be the best order to add these fish?

I think so. They usually pick out a cave and stay close to it. Kind of territorial. The pair of clowns can be aggressive too, but fish like the dartfish, the bangaii cardinal, the firefish, & the royal gramma don't really pose a threat to the clowns IMO, so they might pay them no mind. As far which order to add these fish, your guess is as good as mine. I would definitely add the royal gramma and the clowns last though. GL.

I would expect the clowns to be more aggressive than the RG. RG's tend to find a spot, stick to it and stay there and guard it. But not really aggressive. Clowns on the other hand can become quite aggressive

I got a zebra barred dartfish as I really like other dartfish but mine was a royal PIA. He dug in my sandbed nonstop and would always create sand tornados and bury coral. I put up with him for a month before I had enough.

For an SPS tank IMHO I would not try to keep that many fish, it's going to be hard to keep the phosphates and nitrates low. I've owned several Royal Grammas over the years and have found them to be quite shy, not aggressive.

I agree that's kinda overloaded for a 40 breeder. The clowns will probly take up 25 gallons of real estate by themselves...You should drop Snorvich a note in the sticky 'check out your intended fish purchases'. Steve & Sk8r have decades of experience & give excellent suggestions on stocking order, compatibility, aggression, etc.

Last edited:
Back