RBTA Farm Build

Well as you can tell from the riddle, I am a little slow...ha. I just notice ur Avatar changed. Went back to some previous post to see what the avatars looked like. But I guess when you change it, it changes all of them. I will start paying more attention to them. or you could always send me some pictures of ur past Avatars to look at..........
So ur system is large enough you can put freshly cut BTA in with the others? Also no issue feeding the healthy ones with the freshly cut mixed in with them? How many cut BTA can you put in your system per day/per week? Can I ask how many you cut per day/week. As you can tell, this really intrigues me. I enjoy learning about this and it is fun.....

I am curious, are you maintaining another job or are the BTAs doing it for you?

Oh boy, the personal questions keep coming, LOL. I am fortunate enough to be a successful entrepreneur whom simply cannot stop building companies. It drives my wife crazy as I never take a break (Part Leo, part ocd personality). But I am in my early 30's so I have time to relax later on in life. I own 4 companies, and have 12 brands I have created in another addicting and equally rewarding industry. I started this as a personal challenge to see if I could generate revenue using extra real estate I have in my building. I never set out to put food on the table with this venture, however from the forecast models I have created you can have a honest living doing it, with a great deal of blood, sweat, and tears.

Our goal is to launch the aquaculture storefront later this year, once we have met our own internal milestones of broodstock selection. So right now we are simply having fun with the farm, and I am fortunate enough again to have the means to have employees, consultants and the means to set up this business at an immediate loss, with an roi goal of 12-18 months from launch.

My only advice to those seeking this as a source of revenue, is be patient, do things correctly, and remember shortcuts turn into nightmares quickly.

When we are live, and paying advertisers of reef central I might be more inclined to offer more advice. I am not worried about competition, or tipping off those whom seek to copy. I love it and welcome it openly. At the end of the day we are helping support our local domestic hobby, and reducing fatalities from wild caught specimens (which trigger complete tank nukes in the display tank).

Well as you can tell from the riddle, I am a little slow...ha. I just notice ur Avatar changed. Went back to some previous post to see what the avatars looked like. But I guess when you change it, it changes all of them. I will start paying more attention to them. or you could always send me some pictures of ur past Avatars to look at..........
So ur system is large enough you can put freshly cut BTA in with the others? Also no issue feeding the healthy ones with the freshly cut mixed in with them? How many cut BTA can you put in your system per day/per week? Can I ask how many you cut per day/week. As you can tell, this really intrigues me. I enjoy learning about this and it is fun.....

It intrigues me as well. I cut once per week. How many is a closely guarded secret. What works for me, may not work for you. If you were to copy me 100% 1:1 you would fail as my specimens are not the exact same clones as the ones you may be cutting. The best thing you can do is observe your bta's. And simply having patience goes a long way.

:thumbsup:

yea and you still haven't told us your shoe size either....ha. Fragtrade, very impressive!! Even more impressive for a young man!!! Congrats on your successes. Well if any of those business are as rewarding as reefing......come expand into Oklahoma!!! I may be interested if it is more exciting than insurance...ha. I look forward to seeing how this venture turns out for you.

I will need a Director of Aquaculture im sure in the immediate future.

It is 348 days of sunshine here at the beach in South Florida.

;-)

Haha, well I will am working for a large aquaculture company this summer and will be travelling to one of their facilities in FL for a few weeks, I will have to see if I can get down to see your operation.

pm me for my cell # when you want to stop by. I will be in the virgin islands part of the summer, but I will make myself available for sure.

Food for thought

Food for thought

Well Fragtrader you have given us all much food for thought and some good advice as well as encouragement along the way.

The BTA is my favorite of all anemones, way ahead of the rest of them just on hardiness, I am limited in space but can see putting my frag tank back into operation and adding another just for some long term fun and study.

I wish you well in your venture, it should move right on and bloom for you.

I would like to see some serious study and research on developing hardier strains of the other commensal anemones. That seems a wide open area for research, developing hardy TR ones is going to be a feather in somebodys' cap.

MarineBioHSU, sounds like you have this working well also. Are you running ozone or UV or a skimmer on your tanks? Any other "secrets" you can share to keep us from learning the hard way? I plan on cutting my 2nd RBTA tonight. Wish me luck.

a thank you to fragtrader

a thank you to fragtrader

of course. its good karma to pay it forward. i love sharing what i know with people.

Oh boy, the personal questions keep coming, LOL. I am fortunate enough to be a successful entrepreneur whom simply cannot stop building companies. It drives my wife crazy as I never take a break (Part Leo, part ocd personality). But I am in my early 30's so I have time to relax later on in life. I own 4 companies, and have 12 brands I have created in another addicting and equally rewarding industry. I started this as a personal challenge to see if I could generate revenue using extra real estate I have in my building. I never set out to put food on the table with this venture, however from the forecast models I have created you can have a honest living doing it, with a great deal of blood, sweat, and tears.

Our goal is to launch the aquaculture storefront later this year, once we have met our own internal milestones of broodstock selection. So right now we are simply having fun with the farm, and I am fortunate enough again to have the means to have employees, consultants and the means to set up this business at an immediate loss, with an roi goal of 12-18 months from launch.

My only advice to those seeking this as a source of revenue, is be patient, do things correctly, and remember shortcuts turn into nightmares quickly.

When we are live, and paying advertisers of reef central I might be more inclined to offer more advice. I am not worried about competition, or tipping off those whom seek to copy. I love it and welcome it openly. At the end of the day we are helping support our local domestic hobby, and reducing fatalities from wild caught specimens (which trigger complete tank nukes in the display tank).

It intrigues me as well. I cut once per week. How many is a closely guarded secret. What works for me, may not work for you. If you were to copy me 100% 1:1 you would fail as my specimens are not the exact same clones as the ones you may be cutting. The best thing you can do is observe your bta's. And simply having patience goes a long way.

:thumbsup:

well if ever there was a great example of paying it forward this is it, thanks for all your insightful posts and sharing of information.

i am busy building my setup now, and lucky that here in Johannesburg SA we have the same weather as FL.

i look forward to many more posts and adding my experiences

2 things i can share from experience, is that think like a farmer not a hobbiest and its all about growth and health of the specimens

And like a farmer, I started out with 2 RBTA, cut one, so now have 3...moving up.... cut my 2nd, so now I have 4...but like a farmer and no rain, looks like both halves won't make it so I am back to two.... Not sure what happened. Did everything the same.... only thing I can figure out is this 2nd one I cut may not have been quite as big at the first one..... One half looked bad from the git go, the other climbed half way up the glass, but now is in a heap on the bottom...... Do you guys loose RBTA like this very often???

Now that would be some interesting info to get from the experienced.... what is the post cut mortality rate at say 24 hrs, 1 week, 1 month.

Do you guys stick to the "rule" of one clone per system? Frag trader did you say you cut your BTA's once a week every week?

yes, I will only grow out clones of one kind in my tank. Considering I just lost both halves of the RBTA I cut, I am interested in baringcs's questions. What is the mortality rate.... I have only cut three RBTA, two with complete success and now complete failure as I lost both halves....

yes, I will only grow out clones of one kind in my tank. Considering I just lost both halves of the RBTA I cut, I am interested in baringcs's questions. What is the mortality rate.... I have only cut three RBTA, two with complete success and now complete failure as I lost both halves....

I'm sorry to hear that. That's the pits. Thankfully the other two halves are ok. How long after cutting did you lose them?

Do you guys stick to the "rule" of one clone per system? Frag trader did you say you cut your BTA's once a week every week?

Yes one clone per system. You can read the thread I don't think he gave a time period per say but he did indicate the cut pieces had to have formed a new mouth and be eating again before the next cut.

never mind - just a few posts up he indicated he cuts about once a week if conditions are right. I must have read the mouth and eating thing somewhere else.

Last edited:
I would say one of the halves looked bad the next day and continued to get worse. I really didn't think I would loose the 2nd half. It looked Ok ,climbing the glass but went down hill after 3 or 4 days. And was a pile of yuck at the end of a week. I think fragtrader cuts every week, but not the same RBTA or clone. The two halves I cut two weeks ago are looking good, but again they looked good from the git go, but I don't think they could eat anything sizeable yet. Just from my peliminary experience, I don't see how you could cut before 4 to 6 weeks. I would think they need to be healed up and get some nutrition before you cut them again.... probably like 6 to 8 weeks.... Somebody with more experience want to give us your input??

Glazner you are right. Sounds like maybe its a combo of the bta is moving around and eating. I think that is the art part that fragtrader and jake levi where talking about :cool: I think you will figure it out pretty quick. Me I'm still dreaming..... I need to get my room finished.

Back