RBTA Farm Build

update on the RBTA I cut on 4-20. Both halves ate a small piece of shrimp tonight. This is the first sizeable piece of food I have noticed them eat. Kinda strange as the mouth is very near the edge of the RBTA, not in the middle.

lighting

lighting

I have always followed the normal lighting cycle, 12 on and 12 off , in the winter have a smaller room light 24/7. Its worked for me.

lighting

lighting

I am moving this month, the 'fish room' is going to be a former sauna on a sun porch that has been insulated for it, tall windows on the south facing of the house, so with the lights that I have it should be very well lit for BTAs. I dont intend to work on any of the others. Hopefully by late summer I will add another 10' length of the sunport insulated and glazed like the fish room is for a pair of vats for anemones. I am planning on developing some broodstock BTAs this summer in the tanks. Also considering lexan panels on the roof. I am weighing that against a heavily insulated roof. Should only really need artificial lights in the winter months, we'll see.

Jake-

is the deck engineered for the amount of weight you will have on it? how many gallons total?

how would Lexan panels on the roof work? do you mean take up roof and replace with lexan?

sun porch

sun porch

The whole gallonage would be between 1500 and 2000 gallons, in a fairly small area. About 20' long by just over 8' wide. The tanks double tiered, and the vats also doubled, 30" wide by 18" high,

The whole house is on a thick slab, so no worries on the weight. The Lexan comes in 8' and 10' lengths, basically it would go on over the roof joists like metal sheets would, a little different but similar end results. I am questioning if I will really need the roof panels as the tall windows let in a very good amount of light. It could be that just putting resistant drywall on the ceillings and walls well insulated could be enough. I noticed today there was considerable heat gain there just from the windows. Using thermal curtains in cold weather at night. Blow heat in from the house at night, and reverse it in the day. These are ideas that I am juggling around. Looking at how to maximize the effect in different ways.

Will be making a couple more visits to Tropicorium to see how they do some of these.

Last edited:
Anyone know of any documenter research on required light spectrum for Anemones?

I am wondering if Par38 bulbs would work effectively.

Awesome thread, thanks.

It seems like water quality is kept nice by "bagging and tagging" as said before, the constant removal of water with specimens and then replacing it. If you arent going through 100+ individuals a month I would think it's safe to say that a skimmer and large water changes are a help.

What concerns me is the lack of filtration in these proposed setups. It has been said in this thread that having no live rock or skimmer is preferred, but honestly on a small scale you would have to do water changes daily to keep the tank from going toxic... especially if you are gut loading the nems.

As for not using live rock to do away with bacteria that may cause healing complications - the bacteria will develop in the tank even without rock. Unless of course you are implying that the tank is kept insanely sterile.

I'm not seeing how liverock complicates the process, You'd think the benefit would outweigh the drawback. the bottom of the tank littered with rubble, you could easily remove them and they would have something they are naturally accustomed to for attaching their feet.

Just curious is all.

Awesome thread, thanks.

It seems like water quality is kept nice by "bagging and tagging" as said before, the constant removal of water with specimens and then replacing it. If you arent going through 100+ individuals a month I would think it's safe to say that a skimmer and large water changes are a help.

What concerns me is the lack of filtration in these proposed setups. It has been said in this thread that having no live rock or skimmer is preferred, but honestly on a small scale you would have to do water changes daily to keep the tank from going toxic... especially if you are gut loading the nems.

As for not using live rock to do away with bacteria that may cause healing complications - the bacteria will develop in the tank even without rock. Unless of course you are implying that the tank is kept insanely sterile.

I'm not seeing how liverock complicates the process, You'd think the benefit would outweigh the drawback. the bottom of the tank littered with rubble, you could easily remove them and they would have something they are naturally accustomed to for attaching their feet.

Just curious is all.

algae scrubber.

cheers, my friends

yes...I am, and have been farming quietly for many...many, many years now :p Lest the common question for pics be asked, I have had to begrudgingly stop sharing images publically: I've been robbed twice :(

kind regards to all, Anth-

Dude, buy a video security system. And a shotgun (with signs outside). Pennsylvania has a Stand Your Ground/Make My Day law.

Back