RBTA Farm Build

Fragtrader, spot on advice. Your RBTA prop system and methods sounds almost identical to mine. :)

Out of curiosity, how many nems per gallon are you keeping?

Fragtrader, spot on advice. Your RBTA prop system and methods sounds almost identical to mine. :)

Out of curiosity, how many nems per gallon are you keeping?

Thank you....this is a hard one to answer....if i planned to never sell any, and there was not constant water exchange from bagging/tagging, then a 1:1 ratio is what i would seek. this obviously would be a ton of waste sitting in the tank from the amount of food, and water changes would be increased from 10% to 30% volume.

thread

thread

Hi Trader,

good thread and good stuff, it all helps, I think that the BTA is a good one to focus on, do you work with any others? The lights are kind of ruling them out for me, I am just into the fish and rocks right now so using VHOs. I am toying with the idea though of nems. Maybe when I grow up.

Fragtrader: Thanks for the reply regarding stocking rates, and I know it was a difficult question to answer. I think my method is moer along the lines of, once it looks like a carpet of anemones, and I can't see the bottom of the tank, then there are enough. So for me, when I started this equated to about 10 3" RBTA's per gallon, crazy huh?

fragtrader-

thanks so much for posting your about your experience. would you be willing to share some photos of your setup?

i probably missed it but what kind of filtration do you have in addition to the AC and frequent water changes?

i have had anemones in my tank for a few years. my tank is sun lit and they are pretty colorful even with the low Kelvin of the sunlight.

there are only a few corals that i can grow in the tank. i am starting to suspect that the anemones are killing the corals.

IMG_7052-1.jpg

the sps corals in this photo were added just shortly before this picture was taken a few weeks ago. they are all dead now.

Carl

they are fed regularly

no way. LOL.

i dont even give tours. if i thought that people would not steal my pictures i would consider it. i have to tread lightly as its commercial aquaculture, and i simply do not even want to consider violating the terms of RC with photography or a commercial post of the farm. perhaps if you are ever in south florida i will show you in person, ;-)

Haha no worries! I don't hold it against you, I also refuse to give tours, and hey it is business...just as you are no doubt not sharing all your secrets, I have learned the hard way not to share all mine.

that would be awesome. i have never been to florida but would love to go one day. i have a sister in law there i have never visited.

i completely understand your reluctance to post photos esp since you are a commercial enterprise. i just appreciate your sharing.

wow so only sponge filters. that is interesting. what is a hydro V? the sponge filters give some mechanical filtering as well i imagine.

There are two things I haven't shared which l do in my farm with a common product which I haven't shared and are kind of trade secrets. That's why I do not want to post pics. Like I said if we ever do business or trade I might share. Farming rbta is more then spending 25-40k to get setup. There is a technique which must be learned with these species. Only time and experience will help you be successful.

thread

thread

You have given a lot of good food for thought, that is what counts. Any successful aquaculture project takes time to build and a lot of generated specific expertiese. Plus money and grit to see it through. I appreciate the information that you have shared.

Niche Mastering

Niche Mastering

We talked a week ago on another thread of finding or making a niche and filling it and being known in it, Fragtrader is doing that with RBTs, he demonstrates that it can be done. Once I get more room I want to do similar with another species. About all that I can do right now is to grow out some brood stock.

I keep mentioning Tropicorium as a tried and true greenhouse operation and on the 'five year greenhouse thread' the OP says the same and he plans to modify his greenhouse, or build one like Dicks, north and west side heavy insulated and layered glazing on the south and east side.

It isnt hard to find working examples of people doing what they want to commercially in propagating marine life. There is going to be a LOT more of this. Its good to see.

Find what you like, and become the best at doing it. :beer:

Dang, I was nervous. Got my new fillet knife and attacked my first RBTA yesterday. It gushed like I had cut a waterballon. It was so slippery, I had hoped I made a good cut through the mouth but not sure. I put the two sad looking heaps into my new RBTA only, bare bottom tank with no rocks. Not a very nice looking tank...ha. Just went in to look and both halves have inflated and climbed up the back glass!!!! I hope this is a good sign. I had another to cut but chickened out yesterday after cutting the first one. Looks like I will cut my 2nd one later today... Fragtrader look out, I now have 4 RBTA's...ha. Seriously, thank you for your info and advice. The cut was easy with the fillet knife, other than they are slippery. I am very happy to see them already moving today.... Should I run a full light schedule today or back off some? Thanks again, Steve

Back