Re-Booting 10 Year Old Tank.

Got my new Marco rock today, going to mock it up this weekend and play around with different designs.
Stay tuned on updates.
Redid the sump with new Red Sea Filter Roller and Red Sea Dosing Pump. Completely cleaned and scrubbed the sump as well.
Third pic is the older sump layout. New Ultra Reef 180 skimmer coming on Saturday.
Forth pic is the current tank layout. It’s too high and I can’t grow much that close to the surface.

Not sure if I’m going to put back the Algea Scrubber, might not be enough room now but I’m hoping the filter roller removed more waste and I won’t have too much detris and my phos and nitrates won’t jump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 23689612-D534-4C65-9477-E36D6235D016.jpeg
    23689612-D534-4C65-9477-E36D6235D016.jpeg
    861.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Working on negative scape work. Here’s the progress, trying to keep it around 9 to 10 inches in hgt this time due to water hgt at 18 inches. Still not done but close.

Thoughts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
Working on negative scape work. Here’s the progress, trying to keep it around 9 to 10 inches in hgt this time due to water hgt at 18 inches. Still not done but close.

Thoughts
Not sure if it's all the same structure from different views (on my phone) or different structures but I like the first and third ones. Lots of open space and places to place coral. Those are nice rock pieces.

Not sure if it's all the same structure from different views (on my phone) or different structures but I like the first and third ones. Lots of open space and places to place coral. Those are nice rock pieces.
It’s two different structures just different camera views, both will be in the tank. The two structures don’t touch, they interweave.
Thanks, it’s Marco Rock

Ok, I think I’m finally done with creating my aquascape.

What’s your opinion. I think I was able to create a decent negative space and open feel like I wanted while keeping it lower than the previous rock work.

Here’s a link to a vid of it:

Last edited:
I’ve never gone bare bottom, but what’s your end goal? My understanding with bare bottom, is it’s main goal is so you can have high flow without blowing sand

Ya, I just keep hearing how much easier it is with bare bottom
Easier for high flow and sucking out waste but not necessarily easier to establish the tank or keep nutrient balance and available foods for certain organisms. I've always kept bare bottom but it's more of a habit than a preference and I struggle with low nutrients generally.

Easier for high flow and sucking out waste but not necessarily easier to establish the tank or keep nutrient balance and available foods for certain organisms. I've always kept bare bottom but it's more of a habit than a preference and I struggle with low nutrients generally.
Ahh. Makes sense about the nutrients.

Wonder if I should go with a corse sand. I have the pink Fuji ready to go.

Last edited:
Well she’s rebooted and up and running. I have the new XR15 BLUE running just to test it today but I’m going to shut them off for 6 weeks while the tank cycles. I added Fritz 900 and Dr Tim’s bacteria to tank to jump start it and I added back my only 3 fish I have. I choose not to add back my soft corals I had for almost 10 years so I can cycle in the dark to avoid algae blooms.

You can see in some pics below of the progress in the cleanup. Uggg. Took a full day but it was so worth it. Got rid of the old rock and sand and scrubbed it down. I was able to keep the coraline alive with wet paper towels while I cleaned.

I can’t run the skimmer yet as it keeps bubbling over and foaming up, it must be all the new rock and live sand driving it nut.

When’s it time to buy SPS and some soft corals where should I buy them from, I’m gonna be picky this time as the last go around I got too many pests and wasn’t as careful.

How ya like ?

New rock and new sand added. Check out the pics.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg874F0472-31BB-45DA-BB44-F71836012519.jpeg43025596-2DFF-4E4D-87E7-2B64CEC0E6EA.jpegF9B7B4A9-D846-415E-B657-60D3C5A999B4.jpeg7CF76135-58F2-4512-B005-BD4E31215F68.jpeg9C5B59AF-6B38-4B89-B778-1137965F627B.jpeg

Well she’s rebooted and up and running. I have the new XR15 BLUE running just to test it today but I’m going to shut them off for 6 weeks while the tank cycles. I added Fritz 900 and Dr Tim’s bacteria to tank to jump start it and I added back my only 3 fish I have. I choose not to add back my soft corals I had for almost 10 years so I can cycle in the dark to avoid algae blooms.

You can see in some pics below of the progress in the cleanup. Uggg. Took a full day but it was so worth it. Got rid of the old rock and sand and scrubbed it down. I was able to keep the coraline alive with wet paper towels while I cleaned.

I can’t run the skimmer yet as it keeps bubbling over and foaming up, it must be all the new rock and live sand driving it nut.

When’s it time to buy SPS and some soft corals where should I buy them from, I’m gonna be picky this time as the last go around I got too many pests and wasn’t as careful.

How ya like ?

New rock and new sand added. Check out the fish product.

View attachment 32374368View attachment 32374369View attachment 32374370View attachment 32374371View attachment 32374372View attachment 32374373View attachment 32374374View attachment 32374375View attachment 32374376
Really nice job. You should enter your sump in the photo contest.

Photo Contest - September 2022 - Sump Photo

Back