Rebuild and recovery of a dead tank

OH MYyyyy Jason!!
Those mandarins are soooo adorable!! I wish I could house them!
I'm Jealous! :eek:

Thanks for putting up the vid! Keep em coming! I'll live my dream of
owning mandarins through you! :fun4:

Nice shot of your sharknose! I've had mine for 4 months now and still
can't get a good shot! My goal is to get him while he's munching away
on my starry or mccoskers!! It's so darn cute!
The YWG looks like he belongs in muscle mania or suttin! He's so "ggrrrrrr"!

I have an auto feeder dropping in some pellets around 12pm and then I feed a cube of frozen something in the evening around 7pm. I switch up between blood worms, mysis, spirulina brine, prime reef, and formula one.

Stick with it, you're doing great.

Thanks. I don't know about great. I've certainly have made some mistakes but I've also learned a lot from them. This current path I'm taking by not reducing my feeding may also end up being a mistake. We'll see.

Are you getting any other algae blooms besides the cyano outbreak?

I've always had some turf algae after my run in with bryopsis. I don't mind that though. I think it looks more natural and it's not super wide spread or anything. It grows and retracts all the time. Nothing major. The bryopsis came and went with out me doing anything.

I was out of town this weekend and visited the Omaha Zoo. It's not a huge zoo but it is a reall nice one. They have a really nice biodome desert and underthat a creatures of the night exhibit. They also have a descent Aquarium for not being a dedicated aquarium.

Here's a few shots from there.

ouciah.jpg

2as12f.jpg

vsdi1l.jpg

11tpn9d.jpg

5nk680.jpg

f3xjko.jpg

290r7y8.jpg

25rl921.jpg

314edls.jpg

206c46p.jpg

Wow you got some really nice shots! What is fish in pic #11 (or 1st shot in 2nd set of pics) He's really pretty. They got quite the reef setup.
In that one pic of the nems and clowns...I can hear the kids saying, "Mommy LOOK, Its Finding Nemo!!" lol..will it ever get old?
What the heck is that thing in the 3rd set 1st pic??
On another note, did you catch any of Life tonight!?!? The primates were spectacular!
I heard that they are releasing the whole series on DVD first week in June!

Not exactly sure but I'm thinking it looks like some type of wrasse. He was pretty big. I heard over and over again "LOOK NEMO!!" or "IT'S DORIE!!!"

They have a lot of different tanks. Some really small 10g type tanks to some really big ones like the one with the sharks and rays that you walk though a tunnel. Before all thoe they have a pinguin exhibit that you can watch online.

http://www.omahazoo.com/index.php?p=animalsexhibits&s=penguinwebcam

Here's bit about the aquarium

http://www.omahazoo.com/index.php?p=animalsexhibits&s=scottaquarium

COST: $16 million

OPENED: April 1, 1995

The 71,000 square foot Walter and Suzanne Scott Kingdoms of the Seas Aquarium features realistic displays of aquatic habitats from polar regions, temperate oceans, coral reefs and the Amazon. Walking through the aquarium offers visitors a number of unique and exciting experiences.
and so on...

I just watched Plants tonight. That was a great episode. So far my favorites have been the two underwater ones, plants, and birds. I haven't seen tonights or the previous one yet.

I must say you have a very nice tank going. I only just joined so have not followed from the start. You have given me an idea as to how to introduce myself here. Thanks

Wow..33in. Thats a BIG Wrasse! Thanks for the ID!

Really a beautiful fish. I have fallen in love with all wrasses. If I had a huge tank I'd fill it with every wrasse I could.

I must say you have a very nice tank going. I only just joined so have not followed from the start. You have given me an idea as to how to introduce myself here. Thanks

Thanks Fritzers. If you're starting a thread up post a link up here when you get a chance in case I miss it.

Got in a full set of tests today and tonight.

SG: 35
Temp: 79.9
pH: 7.99
ORP: 233
Phosphates: .5 - 1.0
nitrate: 00000000000000.0
Calcium: 500
Alk: 10dkh
Mag: 1420

Got shipping info on the hanna phosphate checker today and should be here in the next two days.

Found something very strange in the center bottom of my RO/DI top off container. Have no idea what it is.

Bottom of the container
ibg8kk.jpg

Picked it up
ifwu3p.jpg

As close a shot as I could get
2d11xcy.jpg

Cut the backend in half, little more of a solid core
2mi5kwj.jpg

This was just some generic gray 5 gallon bucket from Lowes. On the bottom in the middle of he recycle sign is the number 2. I've replaced it with a 7 gallon with the number 5 in the middle and hopefully something like that doesn't start growing too. Of course it could easily be some type of foreign contaminate. The bucket is has been sealed since starting it though and never opened. Hole was drilled for the RO/DI line to go into a float valve and a hole on the lid for an aqualifter but then sealed with silicon.

Little update in this thread on the shapelock experiment in that I'm getting much less cyano growing back daily. Excited about that and hope it's the shapelock working. Since adding it in the phosphates have been dropping and I did get in the hanna phosphate checker and is really easy to use. Last check, which was Friday, my phosphates were at 0.15 according to the checker and .25 according to API.

My torch is growing! It has a two heads and each one has two openings now. I tried as best I could but failed miserably in getting a picture of it. So, here's another one instead.

wbp5pw.jpg

Back