Recently Certified

Rwiesner20

Hi, Everyone I just recently got my certification to scuba. I live in Louisiana am looking for good places within a reasonable distance to visit and scuba at with equipment rentals for now. Thank you for your time in this matter.

Congrats! You've got some good diving in the state. You'll probably want to get some dives under your belt first, but the oil rigs have some very good marine life and visibility. It would be a live aboard, but you might want to also look at the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary.

No real coral reefs along the gulf coast, but there are good wrecks and artificial reefs along the Florida panhandle. I imagine the same is true of the Texas coast. There is a huge aircraft carrier off Pensacola, but it is pretty deep (http://www.ussoriskanydiver.com/oriskany.htm). The diving in the Mexican Caribbean can be really good and inexpensive, and if you look around and can be flexible, you might find that flights to Cancun are plentiful and cheap.

Cozumel if you get the chance. It's only 2 hours flight from Louisiana. Awesome reef walls for gentle drift diving. Fairly inexpensive flight and all inclusive hotels.

Back