Recommendations for nitrate test kit

maikoa02

As the title states. Over the years I've used Elos, Salifert, and Red Sea. My nitrates have been testing between 2-5 ppm, thinking of adding nitrates to see if i can color up my sticks even more. Trying to gauge if there is a more accurate kit out there or if I should stay with what I already have. Thanks for any input.

Wil

I would go with Salifert. I just tossed my Red Sea. The reagents were less then 6 months old and they started showing 0 every time I used them. I dose Potassium Nitrate so I tested on that. Still showed 0. Bought a salifert and it seems to be more accurate.

I agree the Salifert kit is the easiest, it's the fact that the sample is only 1ml is what makes me question the true accuracy.

personally think 2-5 is a good level

It is a good level. Just wanting to experiment if i raise it slighly to around 10ppm if my sticks color up even more. I've got alot of Reef Raft, Two Guys Coral, and AoA frags/mini colonies and I want to see if I can get the colors to their fulk potential.

Salifert seems to be the overwhelming favorite. I haven't used that one but I do like my Red Sea pro nitrate test. It's not a quick easy test by any means but I do like the high resolution of it. I only test nitrates monthly though, mostly just for the heck of it. If I see them climb up to 5-10ppm I'll cut back on feedings for the month. If it reads zero, and algae growth is minimal, I take that as an open invitation to feed a ton

I prefer the Red Sea over the Salifert for nitrate. When I was dosing nitrate, by calculations, the RS was more accurate. I haven't made it to the end of my first kit though, so I guess the jury is still out.

I used API for nitrate because it's easy, convenient and gives me a close enough reading. Honestly, the only time I test for nitrate is when I'm starting a tank.

Back