Recommended Macro Water Parameters

greg10

Premium Member
I found this at:
link

Temperature: Between 23-28 °C ( A higher temperature will stress most macroalgae species and can damage them )

PH: 8-8.4

Alkalinity: 8-11

Salinity: 1.024 - 1.026

Nitrate: Between 3-10 ppm, minimum 2ppm

Phosphate: Below 0.5 ppm, good is 0,03 ppm, minimum 0.02ppm

Magnesium: Around 1200 ppm - 1350 ppm

Calcium: Around 400 ppm - 450 ppm ( high levels are important for calcified species like Halimeda)

Iron: Around 0.01 ppm

Iodine: around 0.04 ppm

Numbers this week:
Phos 0.08
Nitrate 50
Iron 0.70

I added NeoPhos, no nitrate or iron added.
Lots of iron consumption
my display is at 0.02 iron

Hey greg10! How's it going? I'd love to hear more on your progress. I think we could all learn form your efforts to hit ideal parameters for macros. You should start a tank thread and get more connected with us guys and galls in the macro section. I have found the interaction incredibly valuable. It's really a supportive group, where we all share our struggles and offer help to each other.

I'd like to know more about your tank setup and size, lighting, gizmos, and the plants you are keeping.

Best of luck and keep us apprised.

Hi Michael,
I had a huge controller issue the last several months. It would intermittently just shutoff. Then it started shutting off and staying off for hours or even a couple days. Then it would start back up again. I ended up using the refugium classic controller to keep my whole system going.

I finally got a replacement controller. My refugium is fine, but my display tank took a beating.

I regularly watch this group and your great posts. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Sorry to hear of your controller issues. That's got to be frustrating. Do you have a reef display connected to a macro refugium?

I am with Michael in inviting you to share about your tank and system. We love hearing from new folks and learning from one another.

Sorry to hear about the controller issue. Those sort of things are discouraging but I am sure that your display will bounce back.

I had the refugium separate from the display, but they are back together now

My latest phosphate is 0.08

I'm overdue for a nitrate test. I have the hannah 18 step test kit. I've been having unwanted chaeto grown in my refugium. That stuff gets into everything.

I was out of town for a few days and my alk doser got stuck on for a few hours. I did a couple water changes and everything is stable now.

Great to hear that all parameters we are stable now. That's awesome that your cheato is growing so well. I have not been able to get it to grow, however caulerpa is growing well. What type of light are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back