Red Bugs.. My Expierence.

Great grown a lot?

My sps look soooo much beter I'm pschyed !!!!
Btw
My system just incase it can help someone out there
75 gal with 20 gal sump
Pm bullet one with mag 12
Diy 72 3 w LEDs
2 x mp 40

I dosed 1 half of a big pill crushed up and mixed in a little hot wAter then added right by mp40
All hermits died with in 30 min

noel pm me ur number bro im gonna use my interceptor tomorrow i have a few questions ,my total water volume is 200 gallons in m,y system i figured half a large pill is that corect ? i dont have a scale to measure with ,also i got most of my cleaner shrimp ,harleys,emrald crabs and hermits out ,i cant get my fire shrimp,sexys and piston out u think they will make it

I found an animal hospital that is willing to provide me with Interceptor. I have one affected acropora (now under LED in the sump), and another unaffected acropora up top. I just plan to dip the one coral.

The animal hospital wants to know what size tablet I need. How do I figure a dose for the one coral? Would one tablet of a certain size be able to be divided up into several dip doses, just in case I need to dip more than once?

Chances are if you have one Acropora sp coral that is infected, you may have others infected aswell. Now placing one infected coral in the sump where your flow is will most likely infect your entire tank. So I recommend treating your entire tank. JMO... it's up too you however to decide.

Chances are if you have one Acropora sp coral that is infected, you may have others infected aswell. Now placing one infected coral in the sump where your flow is will most likely infect your entire tank. So I recommend treating your entire tank. JMO... it's up too you however to decide.

Maybe I'll decide to do that...sigh :lol: This hobby!

I had read they were livebearers. Maybe I can find something conclusive on that, because I suppose it would make a big difference.

This thread mentions dosage for the whole tank. Do you think just a very small amount of crushed pill could kill the bugs for a single dip? If you don't have experience with that method, no big deal, of course. I'll just have to search around - or experiment!

Yeahhh I know... LOL!
I've done quick dips aswell. It really doesn't matter what size pill you use for the quick dips.
What you need:
Used Salifert Blue Spoon... we all should have this...LOL!
Interceptor... size pill doesn't matter.
Pint of saltwater
Pint of Fresh Saltwater to rinse your coral in after dipping.

Directions:
I've crushed the pill up in it's package but be carefull enough not to pulverize the package to spill it's contents out.

1 pint of saltwater. (Separate, half and half) One for the container that you will place the coral in and half to warm up in the microwave to put the interceptor in.. it dissovles easier this way.

Warm up one of the half pints of water in the microwave usually 1 minute and use the salifert spoon to scoop out a nice heaping spoonfull of interceptor, mix it in with the one you just took out of the microwave (and drink, nahh j/k!! LOL!) and mix completely. Now COMBINE both half pints together. Remember it should feel like your tank water temp. If it's too hot wait for it to cool off and then place your coral into the dip. I've used a white porcelin food container so I can see the red bugs going crazy. LOL! After 15 minutes you remove from the dip and now you use the pint of the FRESH saltwater to rinse your coral in and your done.!

Last edited:
OzoneParkGuy, thanks SO much for the detailed instructions! I am going to just dip the one coral, and go from there. If they come back, I'll take a different approach!

@ Doc... Thanks bud.

@ iwishtofish..... anytime & GL to you my friend. I'm sure your going to enjoy watching there fate! LOL.

Just did a 15 min dip on the acro that was quarantined in my sump. The coral is not looking good. There is a little tissue recession on the small tips, and on the backside. After placing the coral back in the DT, I observed one or two redbugs still clinging to the tissue. Perhaps they are just latched on like ticks, or are mortally wounded.

Time will tell.

Wow.. I'm real sorry to hear this.
I've never had an issue with coloration changing or tissue tip loss after dipping with Interceptor (I've had turaki's, lokani's & enchinata's which are the more sensitive skinned acro's dipped and this hasn't happened).

* However Coral RX or Iodine will make the color's change and possibly even bleach some, if not ALOT of them out, if left for more than the required dipping time and the instructions not followed correctly. * For Informational Purpose's of this thread.

However, the only explanation I can see fit is that the infestation was already taking a toll on the untreated Acro for quite sometime. Not your fault, It's usually hard to notice if you are not certain of what it is your looking for. What you must remember they don't kill your coral right away. They slowly drain it(polyps retract.. so since the polyps retract there's no food or light absorbtion, no food or light absorbtion then the zooanthelia in side the coral does not feed and your coral stops growing, begins to loose color and slowly starves to death. So now that the red bugs have been removed, the damage is more visually apparent.

It happens, but you know what... now your more experienced and you know what to look for! The tall tale signs!

Regards,
OPG
Hope this helps buddy..

Just thought I would bump this back up....extremely informational and exactly what I will be doing to my tank like.....tomorrow.

Back