Red Haddoni's mouth puffed up

Memeber007

Hi guys! My nem looks bad and i have no idea what is wrong with it? It eats, its very sticky and has a descent color but its mouth looks like baloon. I've had it for about a year, and its been like that for the last few weeks. I dose cal, alk, fuel and vinnegar. My system is running for 3 years with lps, softies and anemones. Cal 400, alk 8, nitrate 10, phosphate and magnesium i didnt test for a while now.

Can you post a pic? I had a gig start doing this and I'm not sure why. I have 4 other anemones in the tank and none of he others do it. 2 gigs and 1 haddoni.

Stop dosing aminos for a while and see what happens. When you start again, dose slowly. I had a gig that hated when I dosed Fuel too quickly.

i actually started dosing fuel after it happened... I will try to post a pic later today. Thanks guys! Keep it coming!

A7A42735-7377-4EDE-93C4-A0A609F4279D_zpsnzspjfnl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After i feed it it looks good and next day same think happens. At night the 'baloon' looks bigger.

Last edited:
Still alive and still looks the same. I took it out and dipped it in revive. It's foot looks good, but the dips didn't help. It did bury itself back in the sand, still sticky. Any other opinions out there on what can I do?

I had my Blue Haddoni that did the same thing when I was lazy in maintain my tank. I got back to doing 50 gal change weekly in a 45 gal system and he went back to normal.
I check when he had a balloon mouth and the parameter were all reasonable, so water testing may not show anything.

Hmmm... This is 300g+ system with under 10 nitrates and I dont really want to do 50% water change if you know what I mean :)

Hmmm... This is 300g+ system with under 10 nitrates and I dont really want to do 50% water change if you know what I mean :)

My red Haddon looks like that when water gets dirty.. I keep my parameters in check because it's an SPS tank. Alk 9, Cal 450, Mag 1500, Nitrate 5-10, Phos 0.02..

My return was kinda clogged and I didn't notice. Water became dirtier and Haddon started making this bubble mouth.. After switching pump a week later, immediately returned to normal.

All of my Haddoni do this from time to time. I have 7. I wish I could remember where I read, That this maybe a filter feeding response.. but don't quote me on that :) Since usually no more than 2 at a time do this. I don't think it's a water issue. All have been in my care or other reefers tank for 5 plus years.

Back