red mithrax crab - reef safe?

tangafish

Premium Member
i found a red mithrax crab the other day in my tank the body itself is probably a little larger than a nickle.. actually kinda neat and isn't showing any real signs of aggressions towards any of the fish or other inverts that i have seen. my only concern is i recently ordered some zoanthids from the divers den and he is specifically drawn to this small piece of branch rock it came on. I haven't actually witnessed it eating any zoo's just picking at the branch rock itself.. has anyone had any experience with the red mithrax.. i have several emeralds in another tank and have never had any problem from them...

never had any problems out of mine.

29872redmithrax.jpg

Never had a red mithrax , I did have a green and he was just the perfect tank mate ever.

Great pic JetCat! Did you maybe interrupted some kind of unknown ancient oceanic ceremony? :eek:

naa they take a defensive posture whenever they are in the open and a fish swims by, or someone is outside the tank snapping pics :)

thanks guys, good to know, all my zoo's are still in place so it is a welcome addition, really cool looking.. great pic jetcat!! what kind of camera are you using.

thanks guys, good to know, all my zoo's are still in place so it is a welcome addition, really cool looking.. great pic jetcat!! what kind of camera are you using.

Just caught mine carrying off my gorgonia, eating it as it went. Seems quite a bit larger than any green emerald I've seen

Wish my old CoolPix 995 still focused, it's a great camera for taking tank pics.
Our red mithrax & 2 greens did that when they wanted food. I fed them straight from the baster. They're horrible at catching it, especially him since he was missing an arm.

5380834155_31b9e72073_o.jpg

Back