Red Sea Max Owners Club

best upgraded circulation pump upgrades?

best upgraded circulation pump upgrades?

I have an older model rsm 130. The original circulation pumps are getting noisy and need replaced. What are the best and easiest circulation pumps to install? IMO the factory pumps are cheapos. However, I just want to make a quick install and not have to rig the new pumps to fit the holes.

Problems with the original Red Sea Max 34G?

Problems with the original Red Sea Max 34G?

I have the opportunity to pick up one of the original 34G RSM tanks for a good price. I have been out of the hobby for a few years and want to get back into it. There is only one problem with the RSM: it doesn't include the original skimmer. That is the only thing missing. How hard would it be to find one on here or can I order a skimmer online? I looked around a little and couldn't find anywhere that sells it all as a unit. I also have a few more questions. Did any owners of this tank have any problems with it besides the high temps? I read a few people that complained of this. Were there any other problems that I need to know about? I skimmed over this thread but since there are thousands of replies it would take a month to find the answers. Sorry if this is a common question. Thanks.

The only two complaints that I have with the RSM 34gal is the heat in the summer time (not a problem if you run A/C) and the other is the stock skimmer (it seems to be under powered for the Aquarium)

You could always go with Tunze 9002 model skimmer, which (from what I hear) will not disappoint you, (I still run the stock skimmer on my RSM but wish it would skim better then it does)
The tunze 9002 fits into the back of the RSM 34gal with little modification if any.

But........If you did need to get a Stock skimmer you can always contact "Pinky" at Red Sea, she will be able to sell you a stock skimmer from the factory.

The only two complaints that I have with the RSM 34gal is the heat in the summer time (not a problem if you run A/C) and the other is the stock skimmer (it seems to be under powered for the Aquarium)

You could always go with Tunze 9002 model skimmer, which (from what I hear) will not disappoint you, (I still run the stock skimmer on my RSM but wish it would skim better then it does)
The tunze 9002 fits into the back of the RSM 34gal with little modification if any.

But........If you did need to get a Stock skimmer you can always contact "Pinky" at Red Sea, she will be able to sell you a stock skimmer from the factory.

So I will not need a chiller for the tank? I had heard they run pretty hot. Just normal use of AC should take care of the temps? Thanks

So I will not need a chiller for the tank? I had heard they run pretty hot. Just normal use of AC should take care of the temps? Thanks

I don't run a chiller for my RSM, and it has been up and running for just over 3 years

If my tank does ever get hotter than I want it to, I just open the hood and leave it at that.

Keep in mind that my tank, is probably in the hottest room of my house (poor planning on my part, but I set it up in Jan. and didn't think about room temp in the summer), and I hardly ever run the AC (I only run AC during the days of the hottest month of the year)

Just find a good spot in your house that doesn't get the afternoon sun, and stays relatively cool all year (this is good planning for all fish tanks, not just the RSM)

seasonally my tank temperature can be anywhere from 77 F to 85 F
I have never noticed any ill effects from my summer temps on the corals in the tank, mostly soft, and some LPS

My corals seem to respond better to higher temps in the tank, the summer is when I get the most growth and they seem to open up more then they do with the colder winter temps

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

I've been looking at the RSM 34 gallon but I'm confused by the lighting. First of all ".....2 x 55 watt T5 power compacts." is a contradiction. It's either a T5 or a power compact afaik. Second, I couldn't find those bulbs for sale online doing a Google search. Where are they available and how much do they cost ?

I've been looking at the RSM 34 gallon but I'm confused by the lighting. First of all ".....2 x 55 watt T5 power compacts." is a contradiction. It's either a T5 or a power compact afaik. Second, I couldn't find those bulbs for sale online doing a Google search. Where are they available and how much do they cost ?

They're actually Power compacts (I don't know why RSM says T5)

you can find them from a few places heres a link below they run about $20ea

http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_...Compact_Bulb_-Red_Sea-RS5321-FIAQRPBL-vi.html

Biopellets with RSM250

Biopellets with RSM250

Hi All,

I'm new to this thread, as I just purchased a new RSM 250, so, forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Anyone use biopellets in the RSM 250 (or 130 for that matter)?

If so, which chamber? any gotchas?

Thanks.

It's because the diameter of the bulb tube. Their tube is 5/8s of an inch, just like a t5 flourescent. A regular PC bulb is a t8 iirc. So the RSM PC is unusual. It's not a contradiction- but I believe it's proprietary.

I'm really leaning on buying a rsm 250. I have only one question...How do I know the one I'm buying is an updated version? I believe people are calling it the 250d.

Anyone still around?

Anyone still around?

Anyone home?

The last post was 3 months ago and so I am nervous about buying one.:uhoh3:

^ I was wondering the same thing. I have been doing lots of research on nanos and am leaning towards the 130 RSMD, but it seems that there are very few folks on RC that have one anymore. I do visit another site and there is tons of info on them there.

Anybody know why?

I'm in the same boat as you SCReefAqua, This will be my first SW as well. I am still a virgin and nervous!

thanks, mark

Last edited:
Hi Spirofucci:wave:

Hi Spirofucci:wave:

I have been told that they have moved this forum to a different website.

It's at Reef Sanctuary, but I have never been there before and don't plan on moving.

It's not that no one has them any more. They have them but they also have larger as well or once they mastered it, they sold it and got a larger. I have seen other forums here on RC with RSM questions also.

I have found quite a bit of newbie info here, in general SW/Reef discussion, that you can view, if you like.

It's at Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Of particular interest in there you should view Newbie Corner Feedback Reefkeeping 101, and New Here? Read all stickies with **** in the title.

Though I must say that no one has answered my questions that I have posted in other forums as of yet but I did just post them yesterday. Give them time.

I was going to get the 130d myself but thought I would be too limited on what I could put in it. I also heard that the smaller the tank, the more difficult to maintain. The reason of that is because of it being such a small space. One thing goes wrong and the whole tank will crash. That is why I am looking at the 250. I did find someone on here that just got one and they love it.

Because I am opting for the big one, I am having to wait another month before I get it, otherwise I would have gotten my 130d in 2 weeks. Once I get the 250 I will still have to wait a couple more weeks to get my live rock. I am beginning to second guess my choice in getting into this hobby. Maybe I should just stick to the FW like I always have in the past.:sad1:

I just acquired a used RSM 130 and have had it running for about one month now. I was very frustrated by the stock skimmer and after attempting a modification I ended up buying the turboflotor blue 500. The new skimmer works much better but I still haven't figured out a good way to mount it in the back compartment. Any ideas?

Just joined the Red Sea club.. Picked up a used Red Sea 250 with life reef sump. I am upgrading my bio cube to this. Looks like a really nice tank. I have a full in wall 150 so this is going upstairs.

IMAG0233_zpsed0cf100.jpg

i have a red sea 250 it's been a month and a half since i put my lifestock but i noticed that my water is kind of cloudy,i have a media rack in the back with ceramic,2 carbon and purigen on top but it still cloudy any advice? please help

i have a red sea 250 it's been a month and a half since i put my lifestock but i noticed that my water is kind of cloudy,i have a media rack in the back with ceramic,2 carbon and purigen on top but it still cloudy any advice? please help

Hi Mimiki, can this cloudiness be filtered out? if not it is possible that it is a bacterial bloom, could it be fines from substrate ?

I have a used Red sea max 250 that I have had up and running for about 2 months. I have added an auto top off to keep my water level constant. I am having trouble with my skimmer. Not that I cannot get it to work but that it seems as if the collection chamber does not sit well on the skimmer. It is tilted. This I think is leading to bubbles escaping and then going out into the tank. Is there supposed to be some sort of washer to keep the connection tighter?

Second question. I have ordered new fans to replace the ones in the hood, has anyone added 2 additional fans to bring the total to 6 in the hood? 8 Total if you count the back water cooling fans. I am trying to avoid getting a chiller.

Thanks

Don't know If this thread just died out but I'll give it a shot. Quick pros and cons on the rsm 250 anyone? Please and thank you and annual cost for replacing bulbs?

Back