Red Sea Max Owners Club

Hi does anyone know where i can purchase the red sea max 250 in white....i have seen the pictures of it but cant find anyone selling the white one...thanks

Hi everyone, I ll have to get some pics up but I did just pick up a red sea max 34. Used from a local reefer.
I already have it up and running but the pump on the used tunze 9002 was bad when I got it so new one will e here tomorrow. It has the in Tank media rack. Running some filter pad, gfo and carbon on it.

Anything I should keep an eye on ? or maybe think of replacing. Not real crazy how the covers on the pumps just pop off. They are quieting down. But I did order a backup pair of pumps as well as the surface skimmer.

It will have a ATO, 2 new stock bulbs and I ordered 2 LED blue stunner strips. Should help with the pop.

Skimmer Issues

Skimmer Issues

Hey All! I have a new RedSea Max 250. My skimmer is over skimming and I'm getting a CRAZY amount of microbubbles coming through my left pump. Has anyone else had this problem? It's driving me nuts. thanks for your help in advance!

Hey All! I have a new RedSea Max 250. My skimmer is over skimming and I'm getting a CRAZY amount of microbubbles coming through my left pump. Has anyone else had this problem? It's driving me nuts. thanks for your help in advance!

Hi Fishingfishout,
What you are seeing is very common in any new setup, it will calm down over the next few days, turn your air into your skimmer down to a minimum for the next few days whilst a biological film builds up on the inside walls of your skimmer, you'll find as it starts to collect a bit of waste things will get better, what salt did you use on setup?? did you use R/O water these can also impact on the over skimming your seeing, the micro bubbles are coming from the outlet of your skimmer hence the need to reduce the air intake once things start to settle you will be able to increase the airflow.

I'm going to assume you've added live rock ? was it well cured ? all these things including the type of food you might of fed can impact on over skimming.

Please feel free to PM me your email address I will send you some help files which may assist you.

Red Sea Kev

Hello Guys, I bought a Red Sea Max tank off of craigslist.com for 50 bucks about a month ago. When I got it both of the circulation pumps weren't working, and the lights would not work. I called Pinky, got some new Pumps, some lights, and some hood fans for good measure. Well I have installed the new lights and they still don't work. When I bought the tank the guy told me that one of the bulbs was out and the other worked. The thing is my moon lights work, and the hood fans to keep the lights cool work fine. Anyone had this issue before? I tried to search for it on the forum but since the thread has been split so many times, it's kind of difficult.

or is the timer turned to the on position ? the switch on ? just make sure you have power to the hood.

Hello Guys, I bought a Red Sea Max tank off of craigslist.com for 50 bucks about a month ago. When I got it both of the circulation pumps weren't working, and the lights would not work. I called Pinky, got some new Pumps, some lights, and some hood fans for good measure. Well I have installed the new lights and they still don't work. When I bought the tank the guy told me that one of the bulbs was out and the other worked. The thing is my moon lights work, and the hood fans to keep the lights cool work fine. Anyone had this issue before? I tried to search for it on the forum but since the thread has been split so many times, it's kind of difficult.

Hi CountChocula,
The fact that your hood cooling fans and moon lights are working proves the LED driver (transformer) is working also as you are getting the fans to work this is indicating that power is going through the timer this leaves the ballast as per mojo's post.

Regards

Red Sea Kev

:dance:
to many posts without a pic. here you go.
PatsTank.jpg

thanks super duper tank..........:dance:

Hi CountChocula,
The fact that your hood cooling fans and moon lights are working proves the LED driver (transformer) is working also as you are getting the fans to work this is indicating that power is going through the timer this leaves the ballast as per mojo's post.

Regards

Red Sea Kev

Well I spoke to Pinky on Monday, and she told me it's not my ballast, (cant remember the reasons why) and that I needed to change either one of two things. The Transformer, or the small clear box that the transformer and ballast plug into(I forgot it's name).

Well It took me a hour and some change, but I changed them both. Still no lights. I'm not super upset because Pinky was very pleasant on the phone, and remembered me from when I called to order new circulation pumps and T5's. She also threw in a cooling fan for free. Guess I have to call back tomorrow and order a ballast.

Spoke with Pinky again, I was going to order a ballast, but she said if the fans are running it's not a ballast issue. Any other suggestions?

Con: No matter what size you start with you WILL want a lareger tank. Go with the largest your budget will allow.

True, you will always wank a bigger tank.

But if your looking for something that is low on maintenance and pretty much runs itself, the red sea max 130 is a good choice. My red sea max 130 has been up and running for a little over 2 1/2 years and its still doing great. (only mod I've done is cutting down skimmer by 1/2" to skim a little better, not maditory but you can mod if you want) I also don't run the filter media (black and white sponge) though I still run the bio media (with the amount of live rock I have in it, 55lbs, I don't need to, just prefrence)

out of all the "all in one" tanks, I still think it has the best looks

This of you running sumps. How are plumbing in the return to the tank ? Anyone have a pic of there that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Mojo~

Hello Everyone....

I'm wanting to buy a Red Sea Max 130D so that I can join the Club. I'm having some issues though...I'm wanting to buy one but just the tank, not the stand and starter kit. Has anyone had this issue? If anyone can direct me to a site that has just the tank by itself please let me know.....Thanks....and good info by the way.

I h8 micro bubbles, and i currently have them. The water level on the chamber of death is quite low. I have been doing lots of research, and have found that when i remove the black sponge mechanical filtration from the skimmer chamber flow increases and bubbles go bye bye. I didn't have a problem with MBs before, but I removed the pumps so that I could put the carbon under the biological filtration due to the carbon getting sucked up. SO I two choices, decreased flow with no MBs or increased flow with TONS. I may have to do the longer tubing mod. Any other advice?

I h8 micro bubbles, and i currently have them. The water level on the chamber of death is quite low. I have been doing lots of research, and have found that when i remove the black sponge mechanical filtration from the skimmer chamber flow increases and bubbles go bye bye. I didn't have a problem with MBs before, but I removed the pumps so that I could put the carbon under the biological filtration due to the carbon getting sucked up. SO I two choices, decreased flow with no MBs or increased flow with TONS. I may have to do the longer tubing mod. Any other advice?

Hi CountChocula, how long has your system been running?? are you using the bio media ?? the cause in your case will be the water level for sure, bio media bags can clog up with very fine detritus wash them if you use them in system water next tine you do a partial change, same goes for the black sponge, if you have enough biological filtration in place ( live rock or bio media) back wash the sponge, a last resort is to cut the sponge's depth by half.

Red Sea Kev

I picked up a used 34 gallon from a local person. It was only a year old and in great shape. I think I stole it at $260.00....It is for my son he gets a kick out of my 300 gallon tank so I wanted to set something up for him. When I first got the system I cleaned everything up and ran the reurn pumps and skimmer pump in some vinegar to get them clean. Yesterday I did my first water cahnge and shut the pumps off. When I turned them back on nothing...I had to remove the pump and bang it for it to start up again. Any idea why they are doing that? Do I need to replace my return pumps that are only a year old?

Hello all

I love this thread. I have been reading it now for about 4 months. This is my first post here. My tank is about 9 weeks old. Nothing except Lifereef Overflow in back. Everything else is in basement sump.

1187861958_J2GRA-XL.jpg

Back