Red Sea Max Owners Club

On a different note-

I just picked up an Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5 combo light fixture.

I know people here run this light; I was wondering what kind of time cycles you are running? Should I run the actinics all the time?

I know some people run the actinics a short time before and after the Metal Halide bulb comes on to get more of a night/day day/night affect.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've order an Outer Orbit 250HQI/T5 myself, I'll have to play around with the lighting cycle because it is a 250W MH & heat will be an Issue. I'll be getting a 1/15th chiller soon but hopefully I can use it very little. I'd eventually like to have a few hours of the T5's to start the day, then the MH about 4, while the T5 are off then the T5's back on for the last 4 hours, total 12 hours of light.

I should get the light this week!

Scooterman67-

Thanks for your input on the light cycle.

So you are only planning to run the MH about 4 hours a day?

Yes, but Since I'm running only the stock light, I'll start out with 5 hours T5's, then one hour MH then 6 hours T5 again. From there I'll extend the MH light by 30 minutes after a week & continue until I get 4hrs t5, 4hrs mh & 4hrs t5 again, totaling 12 hours of light. Moon lights, I'll do randomly & lunar whites I may also put them on a timer & do the whites one hour pre light & one hours after lights.

Well I got my first full cup of water this morning on the Tunze skimmer. I had gone to bed last night and at some point my wife had gotten up and heard gurgling from the back of the RSM so instead of topping it off or asking me she thought it was the skimmer and opened up the air valve. When I got up this morning it was almost but not quite overflowing.........
I had also e mailed rvitko from tunze usa about obtaining the brush set and the magnet mount for the skimmer, as I had seen where someone had bought an aqua-c remora used and e mailed aqua-c about parts and were shipped to them free. I thought I would give it a shot and see. No such luck on my part. All I was told was the part numbers and that marinedepot.com carried them.

Brycek - do you have any pictures on the skimmer instalation?
I'm planning to upgrade the skimmer but haven¿ decided yet on what skimmer to buy.

Thank you
Arreola

Arreola, I don't have any pictures of the skimmer installation. I have it mounted on the glass divider for the heater compartment. This is only temporary until my lifereef overflow box arrives this week and I will be moving the skimmer to my sump. The way I have it currently mounted I can not close the rear lid. I know some people who have it running in the rear compartment modified the skimmer cup so that the rear cover will close. Mine is the older model with the mounting bracket and not the magnet mount so I found it rather difficult to get the height adjusted correctly in the skimmer compartment with the magnet mount I am sure it is rather easy. Also with the magnet mount I believe it would be a rather simple installation if you wanted to place it on the right side of the chamber by opening the electrical compartment and placing the magnet there. Maybe some others can add in on the installation. As for a decision on what skimmer to buy it would definitely be the tunze, just based on the skimmate that I pulled out in the first 72 hours compared to what I ever got out of the stock skimmer. I will try and see if I can get a photo this evening showing how it is currently mounted in the compartment if you would like to see it.

Brycek - It would be very helpful to have some pics (if you can).

Today the LFS is getting some new fishes.
I'm thinking on 2 Purple Firefish.
Do any one have any info on that species?

Thank you
Arreola

I agree with scooterman. Very peaceful. I have one firefish currently and now that my striped damsel is not in the tank he is really exploring and seems to be doing very well. When I had the damsel in there he was very shy and stayed in the rocks because the damsel picked on him.

Got a question guys! I recently moved my RSM to a stand I made! I was checking it for level today as I was doing some additional wood work to it & noticed one corner is about 1/16" lower than the rest. How much stress will this be on the glass & should I do something ASAP to square off that corner?

Last edited:
brycek & Scooterman67 - Thanks on the info on the Purple FireFish.
Unfortunately the firefish that came to the lfs, came in too big, so I brought home 2 small Clwn Fish and a Banded Coral shrimp.

I'll keep updating the aquaruim status.

Arreola, firefish can be very skittish and prone to hide. I think you will enjoy the clownfish more.

I think this thread was "stuck" and not accepting new posts. If you tried to post and couldn't (or received "new post" messages when none existed), it should be fixed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13181105#post13181105 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Arreola
brycek & Scooterman67 - Thanks on the info on the Purple FireFish.
Unfortunately the firefish that came to the lfs, came in too big, so I brought home 2 small Clwn Fish and a Banded Coral shrimp.

I'll keep updating the aquaruim status.

So... Too late for a picture of a purple firefish?
DSC_8598-PP.JPG

IIRC, more than one can be a problem unless they decide to become a mated pair (or perhaps start out as a mated pair?) I expected this one to be shy and he was, for the first day. Since then he stays front and center with his tank mate - a green chromis. We've been very pleased that he likes to show off so much.

best of luck with your clowns. We have a pair in QT and that will about finish our stocking list for fish.

-hank

Back