Red sea PO4 test kit or hanna checker

Zedar

Premium Member
I have read the forums about this kit not reading below .08 ppm. I too have the problem. I am reading .08 ppm on RO/DI water. This is a brand new RO/DI filter. I'm reading 0 TDS on the inline meter.
I had some heavy grean algae growth on the tank glass a week ago, so I ran the test and found it at .08. I started up a GFO reactor and havent had any algea on the glass since.
Ive noticed an improvement in the SPS corals since i started up the GFO reactor so i assumed the PO4 test kit was going to show a change. Unfortunatly it still reads .08 ppm.

Since i havent cleaned the glass in a week and its still algae free, I have to assume that my PO4 is pretty low. But it seems there is no way of knowing for sure.
So my question is. Would the hanna checker be any more reliable ? Or should i use the rate of algae growth on the glass as a way of determining my PO4 levels?

hanna makes a checker for ULTRA LOW RANGE PHOSPHORUS. u need to convert the readings but its probably the most accurate in low range u can get.

I usually know when it's time to check the PO4, by indicator's I see in my tank, i.e. film algae on glass, etc. So, if I see those indicator's, I use a Hanna meter to test. So, yes to both.

doesn't really matter.. depands on your budget. Both are good and reliable.

I would "respectfully" have to disagree. I dont think my RO/DI water has any PO4. Hence a .08ppm for my tank reading is not accurate.
So my question is, since the red sea IS NOT ACCURATE how could I be sure the hanna checker is? I wanted some peoples experince with it.

I would "respectfully" have to disagree. I had great experience with both of them. Maybe your ro system is damaged, maybe your test kit is damaged. I know for a fact that the red sea test kit IS ACCURATE

I usually know when it's time to check the PO4, by indicator's I see in my tank, i.e. film algae on glass, etc. So, if I see those indicator's, I use a Hanna meter to test. So, yes to both.

Seems like my thinking is being corroborated by your experience also. Thanks.
It seems that a PO4 test kit is really just a visual assurance. Probably a waste of money.

I would "respectfully" have to disagree. I had great experience with both of them. Maybe your ro system is damaged, maybe your test kit is damaged. I know for a fact that the red sea test kit IS ACCURATE

The reason i bring this up. I did a search on RC and found other people having this same problem. Yes my kit is defective. Thats the point. I paid good money for the kit, and expect it to be reliable. But its not. The next time you go to buy the kit you may also buy a defective one. That is the definition of unreliable.

My point wasnt to bash the red sea kit as much as question the accuracy and reliablity of the hanna checker

The fact the you happend to buy a defective one doesn't the product is unrealiable. I have owned hundreds of phosphate test kits and I can say that these two are those that I have been the most happy with.

Just contact Red Sea or return it to the store in which you purchased it. Also, there are instances where people constantly use a product incorrectly, not suggesting that's the case here but something as simple as a miscalculation with reagent can lead to a flawed result. Contamination from tap water is also common. Either way, contact the manufacturer or store you purchased from.

It's not like every car that has had a recall isn't still considered reliable. Frustrating at times sure... But that's reefing :)

I'm not aware of any titration style test to be accurate enough for really trying to track phosphate levels. Even the Hanna phosphate is only accurate to .04ppm which too is pretty useless when your trying to track levels in the .02 range. Hanna HI736 model is the way only way to go if you want to seriously track it. Like others have said, if you not having algae issues that problably good enough. If you are having issues rest assured phosphate or nitrate levels are high. If they aren't high thats only because getting consumed by the algae.

If I were worried, I'd probably get a Hach PO-19 phosphate kit. Actually, I did get one. :) You could choose to ignore the phosphate reading, for that matter, as long as your animals are okay.

Ok I tried 0.5ml of reagent A from a syringe still get .08. Frustrating. Thanks for the help.

I have posted info in the red sea forum but have also ran the 0.5ml of regent test and it shows .08.

I have had 6 other people run tests on my tank- on fresh made saltwater- on 0 tds rodi water- and on natural sea water. I did not tell them the result I came up with or the results the others came up will and all 6 people tests showed .08.

This is with the red sea test I 1st bought and with the replacement reagnt they sent.

I ordered the Hanna HI 736-25 Phosphorus checker a few days ago.

I have posted info in the red sea forum but have also ran the 0.5ml of regent test and it shows .08.

I have had 6 other people run tests on my tank- on fresh made saltwater- on 0 tds rodi water- and on natural sea water. I did not tell them the result I came up with or the results the others came up will and all 6 people tests showed .08.

This is with the red sea test I 1st bought and with the replacement reagnt they sent.

I ordered the Hanna HI 736-25 Phosphorus checker a few days ago.

At first I thought I may be missing something. But after methodically running multiple tests with the same .08 results, I came to RC and did a search only to find that I wasn't crazy. Well I am crazy (we all are for being in this hobby :headwally:) just not crazy with my findings :)

Bertoni, thanks for the info on the hach kit. The price is high, but if it works I'm willing to pay for it.

David, I believe the Hanna HI736 is accurate to .031ppm?

Back