Red Sea Reefer G2+ or Innovative Marine EXT?

J Crew

I'm scratching the surface today reading and researching some all-in-one systems. I'd love to get some feedback on either system and/or any comparisons that some hobbyist may have. The G+ looks amazing and looks as close to a turn key as it gets, just minus some small things. The IM looks like a great package but has more things to buy than the G+, although lighter on the pocket book.

Any info would be great. I'm looking at a build between 150 and 180 gallons. Thanks for any help and info.

Last edited:
I have not had either brand but I’d probably go with the Innovative Marine as I’ve heard less (I think I’ve seen 1 thread on another board about one in the past year) about them leaking. I’ve just seen too much about Red Seas leaking for me to trust them) even though they are likely the minority because we know more people post about bad than good. That’s unfortunately the only opinion I can really give.

Thanks for the input. I’ve heard about some of these issues when researching, but from what I’ve read, Red Sea seems to have resolved that with this new update to the series.

Any additional opinions and info is welcomed. Thanks!

IM runs sales every so often.
I got my 100 on a sale.
It's a nice tank. There are some things I did to make it easier to work on.
Let me know if you go that way & I can let you know what I did.

IM runs sales every so often.
I got my 100 on a sale.
It's a nice tank. There are some things I did to make it easier to work on.
Let me know if you go that way & I can let you know what I did.

Absolutely... I'm curious. Anything that is a better value and with tips for improvement. Thanks!

First- the stand is aluminum which is fine EXCEPT, if you need to hang or support something.
I inserted a piece of wood into the upper rear support so there would be something for a screw to grab onto.
The ID is not a standard but I used a piece of 3/4" oak, because it's a hardwood unless you are patient enough to drill for every screw
I would use something else, softer & as close to the ID as possible, it's over 3/4". I should have listened to myself & shimmed @ least the ends
but I was able to pull the wood up to the inside of the beam with screws & it works just fine.
The stand is a DIY, not hard to do but-- DOUBLE CHECK the SIDE doors & how you want them to open, there was no mention of which one was left or right & its one of the first steps in assembly. Mine should have been opposite bit I can live with it.
DO NOT tighten every assembly with both screws, only one, & use a carpenters square because things do not always make a 90 degree angle.
They even say you may have to"adjust for level after completion". The lower braces sit on the floor making level painful if your floor is out.
Mine is fine. The bottom piece of wood does NOT fit exact, so a bottom that holds water spills needs to be designed.
I went white instead of black on the stand & everyone likes it. The top support for the tank ( black piece in picture) is supposed to be screwed into the stand. IF a screw does not sit PERFECTLY square it COULD touch the bottom causing a problem. I did not have double sided tape so I folded tape over & held it in place that way. Everything came out just fine & I am a "Happy Camper" with my purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_20220924_143753042_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20220924_143753042_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220929_103721448_BURST003.jpg
    IMG_20220929_103721448_BURST003.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
First- the stand is aluminum which is fine EXCEPT, if you need to hang or support something.
I inserted a piece of wood into the upper rear support so there would be something for a screw to grab onto.
The ID is not a standard but I used a piece of 3/4" oak, because it's a hardwood unless you are patient enough to drill for every screw
I would use something else, softer & as close to the ID as possible, it's over 3/4". I should have listened to myself & shimmed @ least the ends
but I was able to pull the wood up to the inside of the beam with screws & it works just fine.
The stand is a DIY, not hard to do but-- DOUBLE CHECK the SIDE doors & how you want them to open, there was no mention of which one was left or right & its one of the first steps in assembly. Mine should have been opposite bit I can live with it.
DO NOT tighten every assembly with both screws, only one, & use a carpenters square because things do not always make a 90 degree angle.
They even say you may have to"adjust for level after completion". The lower braces sit on the floor making level painful if your floor is out.
Mine is fine. The bottom piece of wood does NOT fit exact, so a bottom that holds water spills needs to be designed.
I went white instead of black on the stand & everyone likes it. The top support for the tank ( black piece in picture) is supposed to be screwed into the stand. IF a screw does not sit PERFECTLY square it COULD touch the bottom causing a problem. I did not have double sided tape so I folded tape over & held it in place that way. Everything came out just fine & I am a "Happy Camper" with my purchase.

Thanks, Vinny!

I have the older version of the stand with no side doors; they started doing those about a month after I received mine. :LOL:

Back