Red slime algae Cyanobacteria

maik1

It's back! red slime algae/cyanobacteria.

attachment.php

attachment.php

All on one piece of rock. Now what? I hate to use Chemiclean. It works but the water changes and baby sitting the skimmer for hours after. Anyone have a better idea?

Maik1

Just one rock?
If you siphon that out, does it just come back.
Good flow there?
Whenever I had just one spot, just sucked it up and increase the flow to that spot.

Not a big rock, I might just toss that one.

Chemically it works, but some collateral damage possible.
For me, 1/3 coralline on glass disappeared, two weeks after use.

Tank looks great, do the least possible.

Yeah chemiclean always killed a couple of my corals so I would try anything else first. Use that as last resort.

For an isolated patch like that, I'd pull the rock out and thoroughly scrub it down with a steel brush and high-pressure spray. Then put it back in.

TUrn off tank lights for 3 days (and draw room curtains if you can) then 1 day of twilight if you have corals---then full lighting. Be sure your skimmer is operating well, because it will take up the dieoff: essential. If you do not have a skimmer, do a 20% water change. Tod this again in a month. And yet again in another month if you get a recurrence. This treatment is gauged to resemble the passing of a big wide storm on the reef, and is a natural method that will not harm your corals.

TUrn off tank lights for 3 days (and draw room curtains if you can) then 1 day of twilight if you have corals---then full lighting. Be sure your skimmer is operating well, because it will take up the dieoff: essential. If you do not have a skimmer, do a 20% water change. Tod this again in a month. And yet again in another month if you get a recurrence. This treatment is gauged to resemble the passing of a big wide storm on the reef, and is a natural method that will not harm your corals.

This is after lights out for 5 1/2 days.

attachment.php

looks clean to me. :)
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 0
Get the lights back on, now, and be prepared to do a 3-day once a month untii you get rid of it. Cyano feeds on light, carbon (everything living has it, and so do some things that aren't), and water. There's only one of the 3 we can deprive it of that will stop it, and fortunately, light has a switch.

When I had Cyno it was because I didn't have enough flow in that area. I increased flow, stirred up the Cyno and I have not had it since. Keep your feeding to a minimum also.

Back