red slime/cyano

Going to have to try some. I'm not 100% sure that the algae I have left is truly even algae, it is very fine clear to grayish fuzz.

Back at the start of my algae battle I used zeo reactor & zeo carbon source to eliminate excess nutrients. It did, to the point my corals colors faded. When I ask for some opinions on this several people said corals are hungry, might try feed them, maybe amino acids and or feed your fish more. Thats when the extra feeding started.

Not sure if it is hard for any one else, but it's been hard for me to find that happy balance where there is just the right amount of every thing to keep all the critters happy & heathy with out there being to much of some thing. Is this normal, or am I just a slow learner or unlucky?

I believe that neither Red Slime nor Chemi Clean are antibiotics; both are oxidizers, like potassium permanganate. I don't know if they tell you which oxidizer they contain though, and I haven't used either. However, after reading many threads on this (in anticipation of doing vodka dosing) it seems Chemi Clean wins in popularity, especially among the more experienced reef people. Products containing antibiotics for gram negative bacteria work too (Erythromycin), but these are generally shied away from since they kill all gram neg. bacteria whether you need them or not and they can possibly select for resistant strains of the cyano which is very bad. Bottom line for me is, if I got cyano, I would use Chemi Clean once I hit that frustration level of "I've tried it all and nothing works." Like Paul says though, one has to change the root cause at the same time or it will return (feed less, have fewer fish, and particularly, more flow).

My tank is a 180 sps with strong flow & large skimmer, so I think I'm good in these areas. If you would help me get better idea of much is enough feeding for my fish, since this seems to be the likely culprit.

I have 2 clowns, 6 med chromis, 3 smallish anthias, 1 med wrasse, 1 blennie, 2 med gobies, 1 dragonet, 2 tangs 5-6".

I have been feeding Rod's food, mysis cube type, & dried seaweed. What & how much would you feed these guys please?

Back