Redesign Sump

Waffen06

So since it is now winter time here in ohio and pretty cold. The tank does not want to get above 78 degrees. It is a 75 gallon display with a 30 gallon or so sump. I have 2 250 watt heaters in the sump but I'm maybe thinking that with their current placement they are not getting enough flow around them to distribute the heat. I'll include a very bad picture to show what I have.

Sump.jpg

Now I dont run anything else in the sump but my skimmer, the two heaters, a 2 little phishes reactor and my return pump. I'm thinking about removing the first wall on the right side of the sump so instead of the water flowing over the top of the middle chamber it has to flow through it. The water would be exiting the middle chamber at the bottom instead maybe increasing the flow over the heaters. Does this seem like a logical solution or go back to the drawing board.

im sure it would not hurt. I would say the water is moving thru enough for heaters to get good contact .. My Heaters are in my skimmer chamber.

I don't think it would flow any faster than the pump is pumping out and returning through the drain. Perhaps relocating the heaters horizontally across the top of the weirs would expose the heater elements to more of the flow concentration? like this, qIp looking from the ends like your drawing with the flow passing over under over. Or you just need a few more watts.JM2C

I'm having the same issue so I increased flow through the sump and that has helped quite a bit. Nice to have a DC pump.

Temp in the room stays around 68, guess Ill try repositioning them first then if that doesnt work removing the panel. If it still doesnt work its time for a bgger return pump

500w should be plenty for a 10deg delta.

Is the 78 in the tank or in the sump. If in the tank, what is the sump temp? And what are the heaters set to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know about the temp in the sump, Ill check tonight. During the summer the heaters turn off when the display hits about 80

Back