Reef crystals or Coral pro?

Reef crystals or Coral pro?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
all great points everyone has made! I think I will try the coral pro salt and if I hate it, I will just switch over to reef crystals. Right now reef crystals are on sale at foster and smith, but regular price, they are the same as coral pro. might be worth a shot if they're the same price.

Any other opinions? I'm still kind of on the fence. I may try both to see what I like better.
with either saltmix alkalinity and calcium levels will drop between water changes. Supplementing calcium and alkalinity via water changes is an expensive way of keeping the levels up. Choose an alkalinity and calcium supplementation scheme ;)

with either saltmix alkalinity and calcium levels will drop between water changes. Supplementing calcium and alkalinity via water changes is an expensive way of keeping the levels up. Choose an alkalinity and calcium supplementation scheme ;)

I was planning on using kalkwasser in my ATO to help keep levels stable as well.

I was planning on using kalkwasser in my ATO to help keep levels stable as well.
this is a very good idea IMO. Just remember that limewater (kalkwasser) has a tendency to jam ATO's. Do your homework and you'll be okay.

The two saltmixes you mentioned both have a good reputation.

Some advanced extra info:
Even with regular partial water changes and kalkwasser additions calcium and alkalinity levels can become unbalanced in a reef aquarium containing rapidly calcifying organisms. If this ever becomes the case you can correct the imbalance by supplementing Ca and/or alk with (respectively) calcium chloride and/or sodium carbonate.
Both of these are available on the bulk reef supply website.

With rapidly depleting calcium levels I'm guessing that your corals are growing well. Congrats and good luck!

this is a very good idea IMO. Just remember that limewater (kalkwasser) has a tendency to jam ATO's. Do your homework and you'll be okay.

The two saltmixes you mentioned both have a good reputation.

Some advanced extra info:
Even with regular partial water changes and kalkwasser additions calcium and alkalinity levels can become unbalanced in a reef aquarium containing rapidly calcifying organisms. If this ever becomes the case you can correct the imbalance by supplementing Ca and/or alk with (respectively) calcium chloride and/or sodium carbonate.
Both of these are available on the bulk reef supply website.

With rapidly depleting calcium levels I'm guessing that your corals are growing well. Congrats and good luck!

Thanks! I don't have too many corals right now, just some frags of frogspawn, a hybrid frogspawn, green stylophora, a small ricordea, some zoanthids, and a pink hammer. I am using regular instant ocean right now and I can definitely notice the calcium depletion. Usually instant ocean gives me calcium of 420 and it's reducing to 410 in a couple of weeks. That is the reason I want to change salts :)

What he said. Read the Reef Chemistry articles by Randy to decide the best for you.
Calcium should be between 370-430 or thereabouts so you are fine with the reading you got.

Back