Reef lighting for a 56 gallon column tank

vlangel

Premium Member
Hi folks, I have always been a T5 gal. My tank is a 56 gallon which is 30" long. It's very difficult to get 30" T5 high output bulb anymore and now my fixture is acting up. I guess I need to make the leap to LEDs. What is a reasonably price LED light fixture for my tank, one that is not too blue also. I am old school, (or maybe just old, ha ha) and I like more white light.

Maybe look at Reefbreeder photon 30”. I’ve got several and they work very well, lots of bang for the buck.

Maybe look at Reefbreeder photon 30”. I’ve got several and they work very well, lots of bang for the buck.

Funny you say that because that is what I have just been looking at and was liking what I saw. Its really encouraging to hear a positive review on it so thank you.

Cool beans. Let me know how it works for you. Yes, I'm taking the dive again!!!

Cool beans. Let me know how it works for you. Yes, I'm taking the dive again!!!

I will Jesse. It came this evening. The remote is plugged in and I put together the leg braces. It comes with a hanging kit as well which I think will look more professional but I am going to start out with the legs first. I think it will be easier to determine the optimal height (off the water) with the legs as they are easy to change up and down. I can set, stand back, sit on sofa and decide if I like it or not.

I am also pondering cannibalizing my Coralife T5 fixture and trying to make a diy LED/T5 hybrid. I have watched a few YouTube videos and it might not be too hard. I will have to evaluate how the ReefBreeder Photon looks by itself and if its good enough just as is. I have a Coralife T5 quad 24" on the fuge so I need to keep the usable components anyhow for spare parts.

Surprisingly, the remote does not look too difficult from the directions. I just might be able to do this myself without asking for help from a 5 year old!!!:hmm5:

Here is a first pic of the fixture with legs on the tank. It does look a bit spider like but I can definitely picture it hanging very nicely. I still have not attempted programming a custom light schedule,,,that is this afternoon. I think I am really going to appreciate being able to work in the tank easily without moving the hood away. I like having only 1 power cord that is not on a timer too. Then throw in that I don't need to buy new bulbs every year,,,this is a pretty nice upgrade!

Here is full sun daylight. A bit more disco ball effect but I bet a dual T5 HO lamp would flatten the shimmer to just right.
IMG_20220211_141714956.jpg

Nice setup. Good looking tank.

Thank you for the kind words John. I have had this tank for about 5-6 years now and I really like the size. Enough to have several (or more) fish, deep enough to have a nice aquascape but not so big as to be burdensome. This is the favorite tank I have had.

Back