Reef safe fish with COLOR

I have a 130 gallon tank that has been up and running for almost a year (in 1 month).

In this tank, I have (2) chalk bass, (1) orange prawn goby, (2) percula clowns, (4) peppermint shrimp, and a few CUC's.
I have a few corals as well (acan, toadstool, frog spawn, finger leather, and a kenya tree).

Upcoming fish that I want for sure, and that need to coexist with any new recommendations. (1) two spot bristletooth tang, (1) starry blenny, (1) white banded possum wrasse, (1) pincushion urchin

In two weeks, when I return from vaca, I will be ready to buy a few fish to put in this tank. As you can see above, it is very very bare.

I am looking to get fish that are A) colorful, B) reef safe, and C) don't need fed 3-4 times a day.

I thought of one of the many reef safe wrasses. They would provide a nice amount of color.

Would anyone else like to recommend a nicely colored fish that would work with my current/future fish?

Flasher Wrasses, Fairy Wrasses, Granma, Orchid Dottyback, Midas Belenny, Firefish.

I have all of the above. All are reef safe and don't require 3-4 feedings a day. I feed twice ,and while on vacation, they are fed just once.

Dottybacks: many are colorful, none of them touches corals (some like to kill shrimp) and they do fine with sporadic feedings. To minimize aggression they are best kept in pairs.

Damsels: pretty much the same as dottybacks, but won't even touch shrimp.

Dragonets: reef safe, often colorful and need no feedings at all as long as the tank provides enough pods.

Assessor, Gramma: reef safe, colorful, will get along with 2 feedings as long as they can supplement their diet from pods in the tank.

Generally I would say the number of feedings should never be an issue if you add an auto-feeder. The only constraint would be that the fish will take dry food (flakes, pellets, freeze dried,..)

but the key factor is them all getting along with each other. the existing and the potential family members.

Can the assessors coexist with the chalk bass that I currently have?

example: i looked up a flasher wrasse. I don't see where it says that it needs fed 3-4 times a day. DO they in fact need to be?

There is a difference between survive and thrive. If you have planktonic feeders they do best with small regular feeding.

I've kept halichoeres, fairy, flasher and mystery wrasses feeding 2x a day with no issues.

And in a 130, you can do better than a two spot bristletooth tang. Look into a purple tang or a white-tail bristletooth - heck, even a yellow tang will you give you more pop than a two-spot will.

I've had my red-stripe hogfish for over a year. Great fish. Less aggressive than my Midas Blenny. Eats everything. But I do not keep shrimp. Hawkfish are also coral-safe. Those are fun too - both longnose and flame hawks have lots of personality.

If it were my tank, I'd add a purple tang, a regal angel (on sale at LA right now!), a cool wrasse (melanarus and flames are my favorite), and the stripe hog. Those are all fish that are colorful, reef-safe (sell your peppermints) and can be fed 1-2 times a day.

I have a six line wrasse, I might feed my tank maybe 7 - 9 times a week, he is fat and has about doubled in size in three months, he's pretty close to 3" now. I do broadcast feed corals on top of that maybe twice a week, he may get bits of that, but I doubt much because it's tiny stuff.

Flame hawk is one of my favorites, they look like they should be on The Simpsons or something :lolspin:. I have been meaning to get one but keep postponing... Soon enough.

thanks for the advice.
I like those peppermints :). I spend a good amount of time watching them. I sense that you recommended a fish that will eat them as an appetizer.

but the key factor is them all getting along with each other. the existing and the potential family members.

Can the assessors coexist with the chalk bass that I currently have?

I have a chalk bass and yellow assessor in a 75g and they pay no attention to one another. The assessor is pretty awesome (they like to swim upside down and at crazy angles) but it doesn't like the brighter light and only comes out during sunrise, sunset, and dark hours. A real shame because they're beautiful. Seems it is hit and miss as to whether or not they mind the light. Mine will come out at feeding time but still prefers to hang out below overhangs and tucked in caves until lights out.

ive thought about a 6-line, but i hear a lot of horror stories about them. I know it's hit or miss, but still

I heard the same, mine is with a couple Ocellaris and an Azure Damsel, 100% honesty they are all best buds. The six-line did chase the azure a bit for the first 48 hours or so he was in the tank (azure went in after the six-line), but no problems since.

Some of the flashers are recommended to be fed multiple times per day, but most of the fairy wrasses (Flame, rhomboid, lineatus, solorensis, etc.) are more than fine being fed once a day or even every other day, IME. They can add some great color to a tank.

I have a chalk bass and yellow assessor in a 75g and they pay no attention to one another. The assessor is pretty awesome (they like to swim upside down and at crazy angles) but it doesn't like the brighter light and only comes out during sunrise, sunset, and dark hours. A real shame because they're beautiful. Seems it is hit and miss as to whether or not they mind the light. Mine will come out at feeding time but still prefers to hang out below overhangs and tucked in caves until lights out.

good to know you have chalk bass as well. I have zero issues with my chalks, they are model citizens. I will look in to the yellow assessor, he looks cool. But i need to keep in mind the light issue. Hopefully I don't run in to that. No fun if you can't see them

Yeah, keeping the shrimp means no hawks, no hogs, no halichoeres wrasses. I'd choose those over shrimp any day, it's your tank! That's the beauty of this hobby.

What about a small harem of lyretail anthias? I've kept them in the past only feeding once or twice a day.

Midas blenny is a fun fish. Orchid dotties are pretty (but big-time hiders), same with Royal Grammas.

There is one species of angel that actually reef-safe. Take a look at these:
http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?w=Genicanthus

A pair of Watanabei would be pretty sweet.

Yeah, keeping the shrimp means no hawks, no hogs, no halichoeres wrasses. I'd choose those over shrimp any day, it's your tank! That's the beauty of this hobby.

What about a small harem of lyretail anthias? I've kept them in the past only feeding once or twice a day.

Midas blenny is a fun fish. Orchid dotties are pretty (but big-time hiders), same with Royal Grammas.

There is one species of angel that actually reef-safe. Take a look at these:
http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?w=Genicanthus

A pair of Watanabei would be pretty sweet.

Kind of a dilemma here.....I like my shrimp, but I also want more fish!

Only thing that concerns me about any of the fish that require a minimum of 125 gallons, is that I'm at 130. I am right there, at the minimum. What will that do to the stress/health of the fish? There are quite a few 125's that I have liked. Just being that close seemed to be too SMALL.

as for the midas. I have the orange prawn goby, and I would like the ugly starry blenny. Would the Midas tangle with either one of these?

Back