reef safe super glue gel??

muzscman

what does everyone here use to attach their corals to their rock? i heard of people using some type of super glue gel....what brand and were do u buy it??

thanx!

:)

You can buy any brand of CA (cyanoacrylate ester) glue from a hobby store or craft store. It comes in 3 viscosities. I would recommed the thicker glue, not the really thin. The thin stuff is like water and reacts extremely fast causing an exothermic reaction which could burn coral tissue. If you use the gel/thick stuff it won't bond as quickly but will bond with a lower temp.

Don't bother buying it from a fish store, it will cost you twice as much. Just get it from a hobby store or Tower Hobbies or something like that. If you want brands, you can get Zap, BSI Industries or Great Planes CA's...they are all good.

Jay

You can also buy 2 packs of small tubes at Walgreens. I stockup when those are on sale. They work fine and I can throw the tube away after a fregging session. I can get 4-6 frags out of a single tube.

I head to Wal-Mart and get the 2 pack of Duro Quick Gel for 1.87, that's less than .94 per tube! Works great!

i so wish there was a wally world around me. just a target and they have nothing like that.

now walgreens, i have like 4-5 of those in a 5 minute radius from me...i'll have to check those out jcm.

thanx for the advice!

:)

Yeah the small tubes of superglue are a real rip off. You can get a 2 oz bottle for 7 bucks at the hobby stores. That Zap glue is great CA. Just make sure it is the thick stuff and not the thin stuff.

I build model airplanes also and when I use CA glues, if the balsa wood is really light, if you bond to joints together w/ the really thin stuff it will get so hot during the bonding that it will actually smoke the wood and will burn your fingers. Imagine how your coral will feel ;)

Jay

Yeah, I would think the medium should be ok. Just use it sparingly, just enough to tack the coral to the rock (or whatever you're bonding the coral too).

J

Also remember than when you glue it to the rock, make sure the rock is dry and the coral is as dry as possible. CA glue harden by taking water out of the air and binding it to it's molecular structure. But if there is too much water it will not harden and bond correctly.

Good luck!

CA glue is also great for cuts. Try it instead of a bandaid next time. :) A similar compound is even used as a surgical adhesive.

horseflesh...its the same stuff...cyanoacrylate ester. Only the medical people charge 50 times the price for it to be "sterile" even though no living organisms could survive in it anyways.

Jay

Is this the "Thick stuff"? It is made by bsi industries.

Thanks.

95606Glue.JPG

Yes.
I use EZ Bond Thick in the 2 oz size. Its like $6 at the hobby shop.
Those little tubes area rip off, you only get a few grams of glue not anywhere near one ounce even.

The glue I posted was not the gel. It spilled out all liquidy when I went to glue a frag to a rock, unfortunately it spilled on to the sides of the main branch of my sps frag. Im sure Im going to get some RTN there now. :/

Stupid kid at the hobby store! I told him I want Super Glue GEL and he arrogantly tells me I want something better, I then tell him no I just need the Gel so then he goes on about how dangerous it is and what am I using it for. So I tell him and he finally gets me what I think is the gel, but oh no its just regular super glue!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6496540#post6496540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 10" Red Devil
The glue I posted was not the gel. It spilled out all liquidy when I went to glue a frag to a rock, unfortunately it spilled on to the sides of the main branch of my sps frag. Im sure Im going to get some RTN there now. :/

Stupid kid at the hobby store! I told him I want Super Glue GEL and he arrogantly tells me I want something better, I then tell him no I just need the Gel so then he goes on about how dangerous it is and what am I using it for. So I tell him and he finally gets me what I think is the gel, but oh no its just regular super glue!!!
:mad2: I would have been pretty ****ed!! Sorry that happened. If you have a Target nearby, then they will have the glue. Look in the office/school supply section. Duro or Loctite super glue gel. I'd have to agree though, for the miniscule amount you get in those tubes, it's better to buy the stuff that Jay is talking about.

Back