ReefKeeper vs Apex

ReefKeeper vs Apex

• Total voters
I have to admit that I am suprised when I read the complaints about DA's customer service. I have been using one of their systems and have emailed support a number of times over the past two years. I have always received quick responses to any questions or problems. Usually within an hour or two. I have even gotten response late at night and over weekends which really impressed me. Granted I have never had an issue where I had to send equipment back for servicing, etc. but I have had a great customer service experience with them up to this point. I just wanted to share my experience.

after reading these types of posts i finally bought an APEX, it hasnt come in yet but am worried about programing it, my friend has an RKE and the given instructions are crap. Where can i go to find more/better instructions on how to control either system?

after reading these types of posts i finally bought an APEX, it hasnt come in yet but am worried about programing it, my friend has an RKE and the given instructions are crap. Where can i go to find more/better instructions on how to control either system?

Can't post links here on the forum so google 'Unofficial Apex users guide', it is a very well written (and in depth) pdf. Read this and if you still need help post in the Neptune forum in the sponsors section. Lots of super helpful and experienced apex users here, someone will get you going. Take a look at Ken Argo's website to see what can be done with an Apex. Neptune has great customer service too, I'm sure they can help you if needed.

never had to deal with DA but will say this in reguards to apex, friend bought the cmplete unit to have the head unit go dead in a month, yes they said they will replace it but sent it back in snail mail, now i had gotten the apex with every possible module and attachment there is for someone i was setting up a system for, the main unit didnt work from the get so after calling apex and getting it set back up to send back to them, i had included a letter, asking them to please call me once it is recieved, they recieved it on a friday. so figured id give it a couple days, well tues came and i called them and asked if they knew what was wrong, answer was not sure but we are sending you another unit, well a week goes by and i got it back but scratched up, the body have scratch's, the front sticker had scratch's ect, so i emailed them in reguards to this, and reply was we will send you a new sticker, not a i am sorry, no nothing, other then we dont know how it looked when it got here, it was BRAND NEW. now as someone who is in the customer service industry i have learnt over the years a i am sorry carries alot of weight, sometimes more so then just replacing which you would have to do anyways under warranty, so for my friend to go off my suggestion in buying it and spending a fortune to not be able to even use the unit then to have to wait and wait and never get a call, i personally would never suggest their product, now with all that aside i do feel the apex is a better unit, just hope it never goes down and your system is relying on it to run, cause plan on 2 weeks without it

Ive owned both Apex and RKE. I was very turned off by the complexity of programming simple tasks such as turning a light off and on using the APEX. Ive since used the RKE for over a year. It took me a week to get the APEX going after reading the manual front to back 3 times and calling neptune customer service. Apex is nice but its a little over kill for simple on/off stuff. I had the RKE set up in an hr controlling my whole system. RKE is more user friendly then the APEX by far.

Ive owned both Apex and RKE. I was very turned off by the complexity of programming simple tasks such as turning a light off and on using the APEX.

I really cannot understand how you found it so difficult to program a light on or off. Off the PC interface, you just click on outlet setup....then you simply put in the time you want it to come on, shut off, its fallback(on or off if diconnected) and the temp or other value to dictate to trigger it to shut off like temp. How could it possibly be any easier than typing in what times you want things to happen?

Even using the head unit, it is just as simple. I never used the head unit to program an outlet. I just did 2 minutes ago, and it is simple. You press the center button, select setup, then program an outlet. It asks you what time you want things to happen, and what triggers you want.

Compare that to the RKE, in which you have to program separate alarms to trigger something to shutoff. Last I had the RKE, the alarms were only numbered, so you had to write them down.

Apex is nice but its a little over kill for simple on/off stuff. I had the RKE set up in an hr controlling my whole system. RKE is more user friendly then the APEX by far.

The Apex is just as simple to set up for basic usage. But if you want more advanced programming, it is available to you.

It is easy to program. There is a slight learning curve with some of the language....but it really is easy. There are tons of examples of more complex programs on kenargo.com( also has the unofficial guide) as well as the neptune forum. If that fails, and email to Curt will get answered in no time, every time.

Hey James77 - nice to see you again.

Bnumair,
Thought I would add some of my experience here. I compiled a bit of relevant information a few months ago and posted it. Here is the link to the original thread, with the contents of the post below. The post is from 3/3/2011.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18432916#post18432916

A few threads or posts of interest on my experience in the RKE vs Apex debate...

Customers going on about the constant RKE myReef 2.0 delays..... some parts funny.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1940874&page=2

What I like about the Apex over the RKE...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17933052#post17933052

Summary of myReef delays up to that point (Was finally released in Dec 2010 - still needs updates though)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17830597#post17830597

Larger thread with many contributions about controller comparison, went on for a while.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711947

A post I made with some product comparison.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18099395#post18099395

Another thread of interest. Covers the Reef Angel also.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1950818

Kind of funny.. relates to the DA Salinity probe debacle. See the posts around this section. I think after ~17 months they finally have made a functional probe to replace the broken ones with, and next week they may start selling them. Released 2009... finally works in 2011... haha.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18117604#post18117604

Post 13 here has some issues I remember... Also the rest of the thread has some interesting information.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1982748

If you want a more detailed comparison, I could probably generate one in a table type format. I am also sure there are some other comparisons in my post history, probably with a lot more detail. I just don't want to go back through it all to find them. Writing up a detailed review probably is a good idea.

If you really do some searching you will find that the majority of people go with the Apex over the RKE. In my opinion, after owning and using both, the Apex just blows the RKE away. I had two RKEs and two RKLs and have changed out my major systems to two Apex units. With the RKE I had to deal with constant software bugs, constant updating, having to break down the system to update, issues with the PC software, and on and on and on. Switching to the Apex was the best decision I ever made for simplifying my reef keeping tasks.

To each his own decision, but in some cases the collective mind speaks volumes when comparing products in general. I have probably seen no less than 25 people switch from the RKE to the Apex, but have only ever read of one person going the other way.

The best of luck with whatever you get, and regardless of the choice, any controller is better than no controller.

Hope this helps,
Landon

Last edited:
ok guys i got a response from DA to my email with same question as posted in my first post. here is their reply.

I'll give you a little information on the ReefKeeper system, and hopefully you can determine what specific combination of things you'll need to suit your purposes.

One of the primary advantages of the ReefKeeper system is that it is designed to be completely modular and expandable. You can start out with the most cost-effective $119.99 system, and add any additional Modules as needed. At its core, the ReefKeeper system is a head unit (like the RKE or RKL) and a PC4 power strip, providing 4 individually controllable, programmable outlets. Each PC4 is capable of handling 15A/1800w total, 8A on Channels 1 and 4, and 3A on Channels 2 and 3. In addition, we offer numerous Modules which provide anything from lunar simulation (the MLC), controllable dimming (ALC), switch inputs, pH, ORP, Temp and Salinity (SL1 and SL2). The NET Module will set up a webpage that is viewable from within your network (or externally with some additional setup) and can be configured to display graphs of your various parameters, as well as send text and email alerts. With the latest NET Module firmware, you are also able to change the Mode (On/Off/Auto) of any Output, as well as edit the Functions of any Channel. The ReefKeeper Lite has a 4 Module limit, while the ReefKeeper Elite is capable of adding up to 63 Modules, giving you almost limitless expansion to suit your needs.

For your system, you will have to determine how many outlets/Channels you will need to control and run everything, as well as deciding which (if any) modules you would like to add. Be advised that we also offer our PC1 and Expansion Socket Modules specifically to enable increased power handling, for higher current devices like chillers or large lighting systems.

I hope that all makes sense. If you have any additional questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. In addition, I suggest you check out our Support Forum, where you can find feedback and advice from current users of the product.

Thank you,

--
Digital Aquatics Support Team

It is hard for me to believe that you just got this post yesterday since there has been the ability to program output functions through the NET module since June 2nd. I am sure they would have mention this feature if the email had been sent since 6-2.

It is hard for me to believe that you just got this post yesterday since there has been the ability to program output functions through the NET module since June 2nd. I am sure they would have mention this feature if the email had been sent since 6-2.

Maybe this was just a pre-made response. Maybe they didnt even take the time to write it just then. Why is it hard to believe?

from Digital Aquatics Support Team support@digitalaquatics.com
to *************************
date Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM
subject Re: (Case D680) RKE vs Apex

i have a feeling it is a pre genereated email. is u notice there is not a name from tech either. and seems pretty broad email not precise. by the way the response i got from Neptune is also pre-made. there is no way that i sent the email and got a reply back within 3-5 min with such lengthy details in such short time.

i personally have RKE and my GF has RKL. they both are great units and do their jobs well. customer service has always been an issue with DA and somewhat programming and limitness of the unit like setting alarms for everything etc. I have heard Apex is no all that complicated when it comes to complex programming. looking at the polls 80% people are agreed to Apex over RKE.

I have both. I would say the programing difficulty is a tossup. Both can be a little confusing. Difference is DA's customer service is pathetic which is why I own both. Seems like the Reefkeeper's displays are prone to failing. Mine went in about 6 months. Had a Reefkeeper 2 do the same thing.

One thing I like more about the Apex is the power strips are 8 outlets instead of 4 like the Elite. The Apex may be a little easier to expand but I am not sure it can expand as far as the Elite, but then again who needs 10 gillion expansion modules.

Back